Canara, a district of British India, occupying a narrow strip of the W. coast of Hindo-stan, between the summits of the Ghaut mountain range and the Arabian sea, bounded N. by Goa, E. by Bejapoor and Mysore, and S. by Malabar. Its extreme length from N. to S. is nearly 240 m.; breadth from 18 to 80 m.; area, 7,228 sq. m.; pop. about 1,100,000. The natives call the district Tutawa, and the present designation was probably formed by Europeans from Carnata, the ancient name of a kingdom in the Deccan. A somewhat indefinite boundary running E. and W., about lat. 13° 40' N., divides the district into two parts, North and South Canara. The surface of both portions is mountainous in the eastern part, but in the western a plain stretches between the mountains and the sea. The chief products are cocoanuts, pepper, and sandal and teak wood. The inhabitants are generally followers of Brahmanism, but there are also many Jains and a few Mohammedans. - Little is known of the early history of the district, but about the middle of the 18th century it was conquered by Hyder Ali and incorporated in his dominions.
It remained a part of the kingdom of Mysore until in 1799 it was added to the British conquests in India. In North Canara the principal cities are Condapoor, Batcull, Honahwar, Coomta, Mirjan,Unkola, and Sedashevagurh; in South Canara are Mangalore, Bunt walla, Udapi, Barcur, Karkull, and Jamalabad. Man-galore is the chief town of the district, and. through it a large part of the trade of the region is carried on.