Canstatt, Or Cannstadt, a town of Wurtem-berg, on both sides of the Neckar, 2 m. N. E. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1872, 11,804, chiefly Protestants. The old town, on the right bank of the Neckar, is much inferior in appearance to its more modern suburbs, with the chief of which, situated on the left bank, it is connected by a stone bridge, built in 1837. Between the town and one of its suburbs is one of the most remarkable buildings in Germany, the Wilhelma palace, in the Saracenic style, finished in 1851 by the late King William, and intended as his summer residence. The site of Canstatt was so chosen as to make it one of the chief centres of the Neckar trade; and it has also a considerable industry. Cotton cloth, hosiery, enamelled cloth, and other goods are manufactured. The town derives much of its importance from its mineral waters. There are 40 springs, yielding a lukewarm saline water used for drinking and bathing. The most extensive baths are on the island in the Neckar opposite the town. On the surrounding hills are several noteworthy buildings: the Rosenstein, a country residence of the royal family; a royal villa completed in 1864; and on the hill called the Rothenberg a Byzantine chapel erected in memory of Queen Catharine, who died in 1819, occupying the site of the ancient castle of Wurtemberg. Canstatt appears in history before the time of Charlemagne.