Carroll, the name of 14 counties in the United States. I. An E. county of New Hampshire, bordering on Maine; area, about 5G0 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,332. Lake Winnipiseogee separates it from Belknap county on the S. W., and within its own limits are several smaller lakes and ponds and numerous small streams. The surface is mountainous and broken, Os-sipee mountain and Conway peak being the principal summits. The soil is productive, but much labor is required for its cultivation. The Portland and Ogdensburgh railroad runs to North Conway, and the Portsmouth, Great Falls, and Conway railroad is being extended into the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 17,034 bushels of wheat, 100,385 of Indian corn, 59,853 of oats, 327,694 of potatoes, 43,052 tons of hay, 504,194 lbs. of butter, 32,766 of wool, and 177,270 of maple sugar. There were 3,018 horses, 0,801 milch cows, 5,122 working oxen, 8,784 other cattle, 9,059 sheep, and 2,747 swine. There were 2 manufactories of boots and shoes, 5 of carriages and wagons, 4 of furniture, 9 tanneries, 7 currying establishments, 9 saw mills, 2 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments, 2 manufactories of cotton and woollen machinery, and 1 of woollen goods.
Capital, Ossipee. II. A N. county of Maryland, bordering on Pennsylvania, drained by the sources of the Patapsco and Monocacy rivers; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 28,619, of whom 2,175 were colored. The surface is hilly, and the soil thin, but well cultivated. Copper and iron ores are found. The Baltimore and Ohio railroad skirts the S. part, and the Western Maryland line passes through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 427,586 bushels of wheat, 35,257 of rye, 710,887 of Indian corn, 425,019 of oats, 118,072 of potatoes, 30,766 tons of hay, 823,759 lbs. of butter, 19,012 of wool, and 225,800 of tobacco. There were 6,564 horses, 8,945 milch cows, 5,531 other cattle, 5.279 sheep, and 19,205 swine. There were 7 manufactories of agricultural implements, 18 of carriages and wagons, 10 of furniture, 3 of iron castings, 17 of saddlery and harness, 11 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of woollen goods, 5 saw mills, 29 flour mills, 13 tanneries, and 8 currying establishments. Capital, Westminster. III. A S. W. county of Virginia, bordering en North Carolina, having the Alleghany mountains on the N. W. and the Blue Nose on the S. E., and drained by affluents of the Kanawha river; area, 440 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,147, of whom 328 were colored.
The soil is rough and hilly, but generally adapted to cultivation and grazing. There are mines of copper, iron, and lead. Grayson sulphur springs are much resorted to in summer. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,382 bushels of wheat, 25,080 of rye, 91,772 of Indian corn, 42,058 of oats, 10,837 of potatoes, 2,713 tons of hay, and 74,893 lbs. of butter. There were 1,200 horses, 2,180 milch cows, 3,417 other cattle, 8,032 sheep, and 7,648 swine. Capital, Hillsville. IV. A W. county of Georgia, bordering on Alabama; area, 572 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,782, of whom 1,309 were colored. The Chattahoochee and the Tallapoosa are the principal rivers. The surface is mountainous, and the soil, which rests chiefly on a granite foundation, is fertile in many parts of the county. One or two gold mines are worked with profit. The chief productions in 1870 were 40,981 bushels of wheat, 215,338 of Indian corn, 8,997 of oats, 29,640 of sweet potatoes, 113,083 lbs. of butter, and 1,964 bales of cotton. There were 849 horses, 2,354 milch cows, 3,747 other cattle, 5,484 sheep, and 11,892 swine.
V. A N. W. county of Mississippi drained by branches of the Yallobusha and Yazoo rivers, and bounded S. E. by the Big Black; pop. in 1870, 21,047, of whom 11,550 were colored. The former area was 850 sq. m., but a portion was taken in 1870 to form Grenada county. The surface is level, and the soil alluvial and remarkably fertile. The Mississippi Central railroad passes through the E. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 0,821 bushels of wheat, 433,245 of Indian corn, 29,794 of sweet potatoes, and 14,135 bales of cotton. There were 1,809 horses, 2,552 mules and asses, 4,34G milch cows, 8,566 other cattle, 3,955 sheep, and 20,388 swine. There were 5 saw mills and 1 manufactory of cotton goods. Capital, Carrollton. VI. A N. E. parish of Louisiana, bordering on Arkansas, between the Mississippi river and Boeuf bayou; area, 1,050 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,110, of whom 7,718 were colored. The surface is generally level. The chief productions in 1870 were 142,525 bushels of Indian corn, 12.705 of sweet potatoes, and 20,384 bales of cotton. There were 683 horses, 1,424 mules and asses, 1,504 milch cows, 3,164 other cattle, and 5,051 swine.
Capital, Providence. VII. AN. W. county of Arkansas, bordering on Missouri, and intersected by Long creek and King's and White rivers; pop. in 1870, 5,780, of whom 37 were colored. The former area was 1,038 sq. m., but a portion has recently been taken to form Boone county, while a part of Madison county has been added to this. The surface is diversified, and the soil generally fertile. Several quarries yield excellent variegated yellow marble. The chief productions in 1870 were 20,438 bushels of wheat, 172,090 of Indian corn, 45,447 lbs. of butter, 15,445 of tobacco, and G,22G gallons of molasses. There were 1,957 horses, 1,135 milch cows, 2,517 other cattle, 4,590 sheep, and 14,174 swine. There were 5 saw mills in the county. Capital, Carrollton. VIII. A W. county of Tennessee, drained by affluents of the Big Sandy and Obion rivers; area, 025 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 19,447, of whom 4,799 were colored. The surface is flat, and the soil fertile. There are extensive forests of oak, hickory, maple, and black walnut. The Louisville and Memphis and the Nashville and Northwestern railroads traverse the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 93,872 bushels of wheat, 777,922 of Indian corn, 272,083 lbs. of butter, and 5,023 bales of cotton.
There were 3,517 horses, 2,205 mules and asses, 4,070 milch cows, 5,302 other cattle, 10,822 sheep, and 35,018 swine. There were 5 flour and 4 saw mills, and 3 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments. Capital, Huntingdon. IX. A N. county of Kentucky, bordering on Indiana, bounded N. by the Ohio, and intersected by the Kentucky river; area, about 200 sq. m; pop. in 1870, 0,189, of whom 540 were colored. In the N. part the surface is occupied by steep hills; elsewhere the land is undulating and fertile. Most of the soil is calcareous, and limestone is abundant. The Louisville, Cincinnati, and Lexington railroad passes through the S. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 38,236 bushels of wheat, 263,029 of Indian corn, 20,005 of potatoes, 12,040 lbs. of wool, and 669,875 of tobacco. There were 2,058 horses, 1,282 milch cows, 2,480 other cattle, 3,405 sheep, and G,480 swine. There were 4 Hour and 3 saw mills, and 1 manufactory of woollen goods. Capital Carrollton. X. An E. county of Ohio; area, 360 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,491. It is somewhat hilly, but well watered and fertile. Hard coal and iron ore are found. The Tuscarawas branch of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh railroad, and the Carrollton and Oneida railroad traverse the county.
The chief productions in 1870 were 211,-008 bushels of wheat, 23,699 of rye, 417,864 of Indian corn, 520,663 of oats, 75,810 of potatoes, 27,133 tons of hay, 600,785 lbs. of butter, and 538,580 of wool. There were 5,028 horses, 6,314 milch cows, 6,720 other cattle, 131,060 sheep, and 10,230 swine. There were 3 flour, 3 saw, and 3 planing mills, 7 tanneries, and 5 currying establishments. Capital, Carrollton. XI. A N. W. central county of Indiana, drained by the Wabash and Tippecanoe rivers;' area, 378 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,152. The surface is diversified and well timbered, and the soil productive. It is traversed by the Wabash and Erie canal, and by the Toledo, Wabash, and Western railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 521,680 bushels of wheat, 401,635 of Indian corn, 65,738 of oats, 36,834 of potatoes, 7,475 tons of hay, 236,088 lbs. of butter, and 60,452 of wool. There were 5,175 horses, 4,268 milch cows, 6,640 other cattle, 10,042 sheep, and 18,338 swine. There were 5 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of wrapping paper, 1 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 2 of woollen goods, 5 brick kilns, 13 flour and 23 saw mills.
Capital, Delphi. XII. A N. W. county of Illinois, separated from Iowa on the W. by the Mississippi river; area, 416 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,705. The surface is rolling, and divided between prairie lands and forests, and there are extensive lead mines. It is traversed by the Western Union railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 418,333 bushels of wheat, 25,721 of rye, 1,367,065 of Indian corn, 775,100 of oats, 123,466 of barley, 133,040 of potatoes, 25,610 tons of hay, 532,486 lbs. of butter, and 32,650 of wool. There were 0,813 horses, 7,084 milch cows, 14,613 other cattle, 7,342 sheep, and 26,213 swine. There were 6 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 10 of saddlery and harness, 2 of malt liquors, 9 flour and 2 saw mills. Capital, Savannah. XIII. A W. central county of Iowa, drained by North and Middle Raccoon rivers, and the West Nishnabotunga; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,451. The climate is healthy and the soil fertile. Coal, iron, building stone, and timber are abundant. The Chicago and Northwestern railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 65,-758 bushels of Indian corn, 12,525 of oats, 68,830 of wheat, and 2,180 tons of hay. There were 745 horses, 503 milch cows, 1,107 other cattle, and 1,528 swine.
Capital, Carrollton. XIV. A N. W. central county of Missouri, lying between the Missouri river on the W. and Grand river on the E.; area, 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,446, of whom 827 were colored. The surface is somewhat uneven, and in many places is covered with thick forests of oak, black walnut, and other trees. The soil, which rests on beds of limestone and sandstone, is generally productive. The western division of the North Missouri railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 233,060 bushels of wheat, 1,205,066 of Indian corn, 102,820 of oats, 4,986 tons of hay, 186,-278 lbs. of butter, 41,821 of wool, and 256,578 of tobacco. There were 7,542 horses, 1,787 mules and asses, 5,720 milch cows, 10,407 other cattle, 17,171 sheep, and 34,400 swine. There were 4 manufactories of saddlery and harness, 3 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, and 7 flour mills. Capital, Carrollton.