Casino, Or Monte Casino, a celebrated Benedictine monastery, established by St. Benedict in 529, upon the mountain of the same name, in the Italian province of Caserta, over the town of San Germano, the ancient Casinum, 48 m. N. N. W. of Naples, in former times the seat of a famous castle, and of a temple of Apollo. The beauty of the spot attracted many visitors to the abbey, and the medical skill of the friars many invalids, while pilgrims resorted there from all parts of the world, as the Benedictines were deemed to possess miraculous balms derived from Mount Zion. The monastery is a massive pile, more like a palace than a convent. The church, erected by St. Benedict, was destroyed in the 6th century by the Lombards, rebuilt in the 8th, destroyed by the Saracens in the 9th, restored at the beginning of the 10th, ravaged by the Normans and rebuilt in the 11th; ruined by an earthquake in 1349, and restored in 1365; fell down in 1649, and was rebuilt as it now stands, and consecrated by Pope Benedict XIII. in 1727. Its interior surpasses in beauty and costliness of decoration every church in Italy except St. Peter's. In our times the abbey presents many intellectual attractions, as its inmates have established a press and published a variety of valuable works.