Chambersburg, a borough and the capital of Franklin co., Pennsylvania, situated on Conecocheague creek, and on the Cumberland Valley railroad, 45 m. S. W. of Harrisburg and 135 m. W. of Philadelphia; pop. in 1870, 6,308. Turnpike roads connect it with Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia. The surrounding country, which forms part of the great limestone valley at the S. E. base of the Blue mountains, is populous and highly cultivated. There are manufactories of cotton, wool, flour, paper, and iron. The houses are mostly of brick or stone. The borough has a fine court house, a national bank with a capital of $200,000, and 10 churches. It is the seat of Wilson college, an institution for the education of young ladies, under the control of the Presbyterians, which in 1871 had 9 instructors and 81 students. Three weekly newspapers and two monthly periodicals are published here. Chambersburg was set on fire by the confederates under the command of Gen. Early, during a raid into Pennsylvania, July 30, 1864, and two thirds of the town was destroyed.