Charleroi, Or Cliarleroy, a town of Belgium, in the province of Hainaut, situated on the Sambre, and connected by railroads with Brussels, Xainur, and Paris, 28 m. S. of Brussels; pop. in 1866, 12,150. The glass works here are the most extensive in Belgium. The annual yield of the collieries in the vicinity is estimated at 3,000,000 cwt. There are about 0,000 nail makers in the adjoining country, and 70 blast furnaces, 50 iron founderies, and 90 coal pits, almost all of which have sprung into existence within the last 50 years. There are also tanneries, dyeing establishments, rope walks, salt and sugar refineries, and factories for spinning wool. It is the chief seat of the Protestant missions in Belgium, and has had a Protestant church since 1850. The fortress was commenced under Charles II. of Spain in 1666, and completed by Vauban for Louis XIV. It is a hexagon, with five counterscarps, two horn-works, and five ravelins. It has changed masters several times, and in 1794 stood a vigorous siege, and held out until all the advanced works were levelled with the ground, and until four assaults had been made by the French, when it capitulated.
It was restored in 1816 under the direction of the duke of Wellington.