Charlotte, a S. county of Virginia, bounded S. W. by Staunton river; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,513, of whom 9,613 were colored. The surface is hilly. The Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio railroad crosses the N. end, and the Richmond, Danville, and Piedmont road traverses the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 75,194 bushels of wheat, 194,260 of Indian corn, 118.931 of oats, and 1,964,736 lbs. of tobacco. There were 1,035 horses, 1,715 milch cows, 2,506 other cattle, 3,223 sheep, and 7,224 swine. Capital, Marysville.
Charlotte, a city of North Carolina, capital of Mecklenburg co., on Sugar creek, 125 m. W. S. W. of Raleigh; pop. in 1870, 4,473, of whom 1,880 were colored. The Charlotte, Columbia, and Augusta, the Wilmington, Charlotte, and Rutherford, and the North Carolina railroads meet here. A plank road 120 m. ong connects it with Fayetteville. The city is situated upon the gold range of the Atlantic states, and its prosperity is principally owing to the working of the mines in its vicinity. A branch mint for coining gold was established here in 1838, which up to March 31, 1861, when it was closed by the civil war, produced 1,206,954 pieces, valued at $5,048,641 50. It was reopened in 1869, and up to June 30, 1872, $50,751 63 in unparted bars were produced. The total deposits to that date amounted to $5,118,644 89. Under the coinage act of 1873, this establishment ceased to be operated as a mint, but is continued as an assay office. Charlotte contains several schools, churches, and cotton factories, and three banks with an aggregate capital of $700,000. It has two daily, two tri-weekly, and four weekly newspapers, and a monthly periodical.
The "Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence" was adopted here, May 31, 1775. The British troops occupied Charlotte in 1780, and for a time it was the American headquarters.
Charlotte, a S. W. county of New Brunswick, Canada, bounded W. by Maine, S. W. by the St. Croix river, and S. by the bay of Fundy and Passamaquoddy bay; area, 1,323 1/2 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 25,882, of whom 10,703 were English in origin or descent, 10,154 Irish, and 4,319 Scotch. The town of St. Stephen is the highest point to which boats can ascend the St. Croix, which is 2 m. wide at its mouth. The county is traversed by the Western Extension, a part of the North American and European, and by the New Brunswick and Canada railways. The soil is adopted to all kinds of agricultural produce found in this latitude; but the inhabitants are largely employed in ship building, fisheries, and commerce. St. Andrews, the county town, is situated at the mouth of the St. Croix.