Chesterfield. I. A S.E. county of Virginia, bounded S. by the Appomattox, and N.
E. by James- river; area, 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,470, of whom 8,733 were colored. The surface is uneven and most of the soil poor, though the river bottoms are fertile. Coal is found in large quantities. It is traversed by the Richmond and Petersburg railroad and Clover Hill branch; the Richmond, Danville, and Piedmont railroad passes through the N. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 46,-408 bushels of wheat, 150,485 of Indian corn, 74,475 of oats, and 194,510 of tobacco. There were 925 horses, 1,580 milch cows, 1,082 other cattle, 2,122 sheep, and 6,693 swine. There were 5 manufactories of cotton goods, 2 of chewing and smoking tobacco, 5 flour mills, 1 manufactory of iron castings, 1 of prepared husks, 1 of twine, 1 of wooden ware, 1 tannery, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Chesterfield Court House. H. A N. E. county of South Carolina, bordering on North Carolina, bounded S. W. by Lynch's creek, N. E. by Great Pedee river, and drained by a number of small streams; area, 868 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,584, of whom 4,309 were colored. It is much diversified by hills and vallevs, and fertile near the streams. The Cheraw and Darlington railroad passes through it.
The chief productions in 1870 were 21,921 bushels of wheat, 118,129 of Indian corn, 22,550 of oats, 19,949 of peas and beans, 52,732 of sweet potatoes, 2,457 bales of cotton, and 10 hhds. of sugar. There were 804 horses, 2,606 milch cows, 5,678 other cattle, 3,396 sheep, and 13,316 swine. Capital, Chesterfield Court House.
Chesterfield, a town, parish, and municipal borough of Derbyshire, England, situated on the Midland railway, at the junction of the rivers Hipper and Rother, 20 m. N. of Derby; pop. in 1871, 11,426. It is tolerably well paved, lighted with gas, and supplied with water. The houses are of brick or stone, irregularly but substantially built, and roofed with tiles or slates. The parish church, a Gothic building of the 13th century, with a twisted spire 230 ft. high covered with lead, two other churches, a new and an old town hall, various chapels, a handsome school house for a free grammar school founded under Elizabeth, alms houses, a savings bank, and a mechanics' institute, are the chief buildings of note. The manufactures are lace, silk, gingham, and earthenware. Considerable trade is carried on in malt, and there are coal mines, quarries, and smelting furnaces in the vicinity. The Chesterfield canal connects the town with the river Trent.