Clarke, the name of nine counties in the United States. I. A N. county of Virginia, bounded N. E. by West Virginia; area, 208 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,670, of whom 2,159 were colored. It is traversed by the Shenandoah, is diversified by hills, valleys, and plains, and comprises a portion of the great valley of Virginia, on the N. W. side of the Blue Ridge. The soil is very fertile. The Winchester, Potomac, and Strasburg division of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad crosses the N. W. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 234,858 bushels of wheat, 211,028 of Indian corn, 59,-618 of oats, 2,233 tons of hay, and 26,443 lbs. of wool. There were 1,769 horses, 1,499 milch cows, 3,424 other cattle, 6,248 sheep, and 5,067 swine. There were 2 grist mills, 5 saw mills, and 6 carriage factories. Capital, Berry-ville. II. A N. E. central county of Georgia, traversed by Oconee river and two of its branches: area, about 280 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,941, of whom 6,453 were colored. Granite is found in great abundance; the principal other minerals are gold, kaolin, pyrites, tourmaline, and garnets. Near the streams the land is fertile, but much of the soil in the uplands is worn out. The Athens branch of the Georgia railroad terminates at the county seat.

The chief productions in 1870 were 18,103 bushels of wheat, 134,951 of Indian corn, 27,335 of oats, and 3,069 bales of cotton. There were 047 horses, 1,244 milch cows, 1,926 other cattle, 2,340 sheep, and 4,516 swine. There were 3 manufactories of cotton goods, 3 of carriages and wagons, 1 of iron castings, 2 of machinery, 1 of woollen goods, 2 grist mills, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Athens. III. A S. W. county of Alabama; area 1,270 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,663, of whom 7,505 were colored. It is bounded TV. by the Tombigbee, and S. E. by the Alabama river, both of which are here navigable by steamboats. The surface is uneven, and a considerable portion of it occupied by pine forests. Part of the soil is poor and sandy; in other places it is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 227,031 bushels of Indian corn, 49,550 of sweet potatoes, and 5,713 bales of cotton. There were 1,146 horses, 873 mules and asses, 3,708 milch cows, 6,921 other cattle, 4,328 sheep, and 12,040 swine. Capital, Clarks-ville. IV. A S. W. central county of Arkansas, bounded E. by the Washita river, and S. W. by the Little Missouri; pop. in 1870, 11,-953, of whom 3,492 were colored. The former area was 941 sq. m.; but portions of Dallas and Hot Springs counties have been added to it.

It is intersected by Antoine and Caddo creeks. The Washita is navigable by steamboats. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,832 bushels of wheat, 356,428 of Indian corn, and 0,531 bales of cotton. There were 1,874 horses, 707 mules and asses, 3,165 milch cows, 4,221 other cattle, 3,945 sheep, and 21,652 swine. There were 9 grist mills, 4 saw mills, and 1 leather-currying establishment. Capital, Arkadelphia. V. A S. E. county of Indiana, separated from Kentucky on the S. E. by the Ohio river; area, 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 24,-770. The surface is mostly level, and the soil fertile. Iron, marble, limestone, and hydraulic cement are found. The Jeffersonville, Madison, and Indianapolis, the Louisville division of the Ohio and Mississippi, and the Louisville, New Albany, and Chicago railroads traverse the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 119,308 bushels of wheat, 612,192 of Indian corn, 130,295 of oats, 103,200 of potatoes, 9,020 tons of hay, 224,376 lbs. of butter, 31,-030 of wool, 14,110 of tobacco, and 34,883 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 4,475 horses, 4,024 milch cows, 4,884 other cattle, 11,787 sheep, and 22,325 swine.

There were 2 manufactories of agricultural implements, 2 of boats, 3 of carriages and wagons, 2 of cars, 3 of cement, 12 of cooperage, 5 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, 7 grist mills, 5 tanneries, 7 saw mills, 7 manufactories of saddlery and harness, 8 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, and 1 of woollen goods. Capital, Charleston. VI. A S. county of Iowa; area, 432 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,735. It is drained by the South, the Whitebreast, and the east fork of Grand river. The surface is moderately uneven, and occupied mainly by prairies. The soil is generally good. The Burlington and Missouri River railroad passes through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 125,312 bushels of wheat, 374,588 of Indian corn, 129,595 of oats, 31,803 of potatoes, 14,-889 tons of hay, 203,170 lbs. of butter, and 37,209 of wool. There were 3,054 horses, 2,988 milch cows, 4,705 other cattle, 12,073 sheep, and 11,349 swine. There were 2 grist mills, 2 manufactories of saddlery and harness, and 1 of woollen goods.

Capital, Osceola.