Clinton, a city of Clinton co., Iowa, on the Mississippi, about 42 m. above Davenport; pop. in 1870, 6,129. The river is here crossed by an iron drawbridge, 4,100 ft. long, which cost $600,000. The Chicago and Northwestern railroad has here its repair shops, and there is a large number of saw mills, one of which is capable of producing 200,000 ft. of lumber a day. There is a national bank, and a triweekly and three weekly newspapers, of which one is in German. In 1871 there were 26 public schools, with 28 teachers and 1,331 pupils.
Clinton, the name of several towns and villages in the United States. I. A town of Worcester co., Mass., on Nashua river, 32 m. W. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 5,429. It is a thriving manufacturing place, and contains a number of large mills and factories, supplied with water power by the Nashua river. The principal establishments are 2 cotton mills, with 24,612 spindles, manufacturing 4,353,362 yards of ginghams annually, and employing 340 males and 560 females, capital $840,000; 1 woollen carpet mill, with 3 sets of machinery, manufacturing 364,300 yards of carpeting, and employing 161 males and 172 females, capital $500,000; 1 manufactory of hollow ware and castings, capital $10,000; 1 of cotton, woollen, and other machinery, capital $20,000; 3 of combs, capital $10,200; 1 of wire cloth, capital $100,000; and 1 of hoop-skirt material, capital $12,000. There are employed in the manufacture of boots and shoes 58 males and 25 females; value of product, $121,500. The Lancaster or gingham mills are thought to be the most complete of the kind in the United States. The buildings occupy four acres of ground on the bank of the stream; this company also manufactures counterpanes; it has a dye house, said to be the best in the world. The Bigelow carpet company produces superior Brussels carpeting.
There are several handsome churches, good schools, and a weekly newspaper. The Boston, Clinton, and Fitchburg, and the Worcester and Nashua railroads pass through the town. II. A post village of Kirkland township, Oneida co., N. Y., built on both sides of Oris-kanv creek, and on the Chenango canal, 7 m. S. W. of Utica; pop. in 1870, 1,640. It is the seat of Hamilton college, and contains several churches. (See Hamilton College.) A weekly paper and a monthly periodical are published here. The Utica, Clinton, and Binghamton railroad passes through it. III. A borough and township of Hunterdon co., N. J., 31 m.
N. W. of Trenton; pop. of the township in 1870, 3,134; of the borough, 785. It is situated on the south branch of Raritan river, and contains several mills and factories. The surrounding country is very productive and highly cultivated, and is noted for its limestone quarries. A weekly newspaper is published here. The New Jersey Central railroad passes through it. IV. A post village and the capital of E. Feliciana parish, La., 85 m. N. W. of New Orleans; pop. in 1870, 930, of whom 297 were colored. Two weekly newspapers are published. A railroad connects it with Port Hudson.