Clinton, the name of nine counties in the United States. I. The N. E. county of New York, bordering on Lake Champlain, bounded N. by Canada and S. by the Ausable river; area, 952 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 47,970. The surface near the lake is level, but becomes hilly and mountainous toward the western part of the county. Timber is abundant, and the soil is fertile. The mountains contain valuable mines of iron, the ore being abundant, and of superior quality. Dannemora is the seat of a state prison, which in 1871 had 529 inmates. The convicts are employed in digging, separating, and preparing iron ore for the neighboring furnaces. The county is traversed by the Vermont and Canada, the Montreal and Platts-burgh, and the Whitehall and Plattsburgh railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 81,410 bushels of wheat, 10G,25G of Indian corn, 520,609 of oats, 92,443 of buckwheat, 41,243 of peas and beans, 844,703 of potatoes, 00,470 tons of hay, 905,608 lbs. of butter, 151,-525 of wool, and 163,036 of maple sugar.
There were 7,883 horses, 10,972 milch cows, 10,740 other cattle, 40,391 sheep, and 4,400 swine; 5 manufactories of charcoal, 19 of starch, 4 of woollen goods, 15 of iron, 1 of nails and spikes, 8 grist mills, 14 tanneries, 3 planing mills, 63 saw mills, 3 manufactories of boots and shoes, 3 of carriages and wagons, 1 of cordage and twine, 5 of furniture, 6 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, 3 of perfumery and fancy soaps, 12 of saddlery and harness, 3 of sashes, doors, and blinds, and 9 leather-currying establishments. Capital, Plattsburgh. II. A N. central county of Pennsylvania, traversed by the W. branch of the Susquehanna; pop. in 1870, 23,211. The former area was about 1,000 sq. m., but it has been somewhat diminished by taking a portion for Cameron county. The surface is mountainous, the Alleghany ridge extending along the eastern border. It abounds in iron, coal, and timber. The county is traversed by the West Branch canal and the Philadelphia and Erie railroad, and the Bald Eagle division of the Pennsylvania Central. The chief productions in 1870 were 147,067 bushels of wheat, 458,716 of Indian corn, 209,813 of oats, 55,203 of potatoes, 11,442 tons of hay, 218,250 lbs. of butter, 17,149 of wool, and 36,169 of tobacco.
There were 2,512 horses, 2,784 milch cows, 3,950 other cattle, 6,045 sheep, and 6,983 swine; 10 flour mills, 47 saw mills, 2 manufactories of sashes, doors, and blinds, 9 of carriages and wagons, 2 of edge tools, 7 of bricks, 7 of furniture, 2 of pig iron and blooms, 5 of iron castings, 2 of machinery, 1 planing mill, and 8 tanneries. Capital, Lock Haven. III. A S. county of Kentucky, bordering on Tennessee, bounded N. by the Cumberland river; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,497, of whom 292 were colored. The surface is hilly, Poplar mountain in the E. part, 1,000 feet high, being the principal summit. The soil is fertile, though little improved. Coal and iron are abundant, and there is good water power. The chief productions in 1870 were 28,770 bushels of wheat, 198,602 of Indian corn, 37,-881 of oats, 12,395 of Irish and 9,547 of sweet potatoes, 311 tons of hay, 70,821 lbs. of butter, 14,946 of wool, and 117,238 of tobacco. There were 1,626 horses, 1,534 milch cows, 2,547 other cattle, 6,741 -sheep, and 9,800 swine. Capital, Albany. IV. A S. W. county of Ohio, area, 467 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,914. It has an undulating surface and fertile soil. It is traversed by the Marietta and Cincinnati railroad, the Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley, and Hillsboro' branch.
The chief productions in 1870 were 329,802 bushels of wheat, 158,-997 of Indian corn, 109,238 of oats, 64,682 of potatoes, 23,400 of flax seed, 12,919 tons of hay, 348,150 lbs. of butter, 142,221 of wool, and 62,641 of maple sugar. There were 7,219 horses, 5,390 milch cows, 8,398 other cattle, 38,826 sheep, and 39,243 swine; 14 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 9 of saddlery and harness, 2 of woollen goods, 15 of bricks, and 15 flour mills. Capital, Wilmington. V. A S. central county of Michigan, drained by Grand, Maple, and Looking-glass rivers; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,845. The surface is flat, and there are extensive forests. The soil is fertile. The Detroit, Lansing, and Lake Michigan railroad intersects the S. W. corner, the Jackson, Lansing, and Saginaw railroad the S. E. corner, and the Detroit and Milwaukee railroad traverses the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 497,030 bushels of wheat, 274,606 of Indian corn, 285,419 of oats, 227,140 of potatoes, 20,369 tons of hay, 796,970 lbs. of butter, 196,444 of wool, and 39,151 of hops.
There were 5,313 horses, 6,620 milch cows, 9,935 other cattle, 44,895 sheep, and 10,151 swine; 8 flour mills, 18 saw mills, 6 manufactories of agricultural implements, 9 of carriages and wagons, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woodenware, and 3 planing mills. Capital, De Witt. VI. A central county of Indiana; area, about 432 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,330. The surface is level and the soil fertile. With the exception of a few prairies, the largest of which is 12 m. long and 4 m. wide, it is covered by dense forests. The Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Lafayette railroad intersects the S. W. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 535,354 bushels of wheat, 980,891 of Indian corn, 140,389 of oats, 53,270 of potatoes, 6,392 of flax seed, 10,767 tons of hay, 502,253 lbs. of butter, 87,861 of wool, and 24,300 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 7,763 horses, 5,890 milch cows, 7,377 other cattle, 25,537 sheep, and 28,542 swine; 10 flour mills, 35 saw mills, 2 manufactories of boots and shoes, 17 of carriages and wagons, 7 of furniture, and 5 of saddlery and harness. Capital, Frankfort. VII. A S. W. county of Illinois; area, 420 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,285. Kaskaskia river, Shoal, Beaver, and Crooked creeks are the principal streams.
The surface consists mainly of fertile prairies interspersed with tracts of forest. The Ohio and Mississippi railroad passes through the county, and the Illinois Central railroad touches the S. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 611,388 bushels of wheat, 813,257 of Indian corn, 446,324 of oats, 76,297 of potatoes, 11,585 tons of hay, and 169,055 lbs. of butter. There were 5,903 horses, 3,739 milch cows, 4,114 other cattle, 5,358 sheep, and 17,911 swine; 3 manufactories of furniture, 12 of carriages and wagons, and 10 grist mills. Capital, Carlyle. VIII. An E. county of Iowa, bordering on Illinois, bounded E. by the Mississippi, and S. by the Wap-sipinicon river, which intersects the S. W. corner; area, 696 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 35,357. Prairies and forests are scattered over the surface, and the soil is generally productive. Peat is found. The Chicago and Northwestern railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 954,175 bushels of wheat, 2,493,-660 of Indian corn, 912,469 of oats, 199,072 of barley, 231,348 of potatoes, 16,170 of flax seed, 52,706 tons of hay, 989,896 lbs. of butter, and 44,269 of wool.
There were 14,520 horses, 13,564 milch cows, 20,120 other cattle, 9,633 sheep, and 39,485 swine; 11 flour mills, 8 saw mills, 10 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 4 of furniture, 3 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, 1 of matches, 1 of paper, 2 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 1 distillery, and 5 breweries. Capital, De Witt. IX. A N. W. county of Missouri; area, 460 sq. m.; pop, in 1870, 14,-063, of whom 683 were colored. The surface is chiefly prairie, in some places well wooded. Sandstone and limestone underlie the soil, which is generally fertile. The Hannibal and St. Joseph railroad skirts the N. border, and its Cameron and Kansas City branch, and the Lexington and St. Joseph branch of the western division of the North Missouri railroad pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 93,770 bushels of wheat, 1,147,395 of Indian corn, 239,598 of oats, 62,759 of potatoes, 7,382 tons of hay, 200,688 lbs. of butter, and 44,714 of wool. There were 6,095 horses, 1,504 mules and asses, 4,224 milch cows, 9,433 other cattle, 14,096 sheep, and 25,921 swine; 5 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 6 of saddlery and harness, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 2 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments, 4 saw mills, and 6 flour mills.