Coosa, a central county of Alabama, bounded S. W. by Coosa river; the former area was 860 sq. m., but a portion has recently been taken to form Elmore county; pop. in 1870, 11,945, of whom 3,394 were colored. The surface is hilly, and the soil very productive. The pasture lands are excellent, and perennial springs are found in almost all parts. Numerous small streams afford an abundance of water power. Lead and iron mines have been opened; statuary granite of very superior quality is found. In the northern part is an immense quarry of beautiful marble, extending through Coosa and Talladega into Calhoun county. The chief productions in 1870 were 36,066 bushels of wheat, 262,638 of Indian corn, 20,513 of oats, 30,508 of • sweet potatoes, 3,893 bales of cotton, and 91,961 lbs. of butter. There were 1,406 horses, 1,184 mules and , asses, 3,779 milch cows, 528 other cattle, 4,546 sheep, and 12,689 swine; 1 cotton mill, several flour and saw mills. Capital, Rockford.
Coosa, a river of Georgia and Alabama, 350 m. long. It is formed by the union of the Etowah and Oostenaula at Rome, Ga., flows S. W., and after passing the Ten islands in Alabama turns S. and S. E., and joins the Tallapoosa to form the Alabama in Elmore co., between Wetumpka and Montgomery. From Koine to the Ten islands in Alabama, and below Wetumpka, it is navigable by steamboats. Between the Ten islands and Wetumpka the shoals which obstruct the channel at short intervals prevent the passage of any vessels except flat-boats.