A division of the province of Bengal, India, bounded E. and S. E. by the bay of Bengal, and lying between lat. 19° 30' and 21° 40' N., and Ion. 85° 8' and 87° 31' E.; area, 6,705 sq. m.; pop. about 1,500,000. It is divided into the districts of Pooree, Cuttack proper, and Balasore. The district of Cuttack has an area of 3,061 sq. m. It is well watered, the coast is level, and the N. W. part is traversed by hills which produce teak and other valuable timber. Wheat, maize, rice, sugar, pulse, spices, and dyestuffs are the principal productions. The best salt in India is made on the coast, and iron is found among the hills. The climate is hot and unhealthy. The province was acquired by the British from the rajah of Berar in 1803. In 1817 it was the theatre of a serious revolt, and in the mutiny of 1857 it was somewhat disturbed. The Cuttack Mehals, a group of 18 petty states, with an aggregate area of 16,929 sq. m., and a population of 761,805, became subject to the East India company on the acquisition of the province. They comprise a small proportion of arable land, but are valuable for their timber.
II. A city, capital of the district, on a tongue of land between two branches of the Maha-nuddy river, 60 m. from its mouth and 220 m. 6. W. of Calcutta; pop. estimated at 40,000. Embankments faced with stone protect it from the frequent overflows of the river, which has been known to rise six feet above the level of the town in a single night. It is half in ruins, has little trade, and contains no handsome buildings. Many of the dwellings, however, are well built of brick or stone, and it has manufactories of brass cooking utensils and shoes. Near it is the decayed fortress of Barahbattee, now used as a quarry. The town was the capital of the ancient province of Orissa, and its name, from the Sanskrit catak, signifies a royal residence. It was captured by the British in 1803.