Davis. I. A N. E. County Of Texas, bounded N. by Sulphur fork of Red river, E. by Arkansas and Louisiana, and watered by John and James creeks; area, 927 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,875, of whom 3,379 were colored. The surface is undulating, and partly occupied by uncultivated swamps. The uplands are fertile. It is heavily timbered with oak, blackjack, ash, hickory, and pine. There are extensive beds of iron ore and copperas springs. The chief productions in 1870 were 256,505 bushels of Indian corn, 36,228 of sweet potatoes, and 5,966 bales of cotton. There were 1,156 horses, 2,584 milch cows, 5,888 other cattle, 3,527 sheep, and 13,126 swine; several saw mills, steam flour mills, and iron foun-deries. Capital, Linden. II. A S. E. county of Iowa, bordering on Missouri; area, about 480 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,565. Fox river flows through it, and it is drained by the sources of Wyaconda and Fabius rivers. It has an undulating surface and a rich soil; timber is scarce, but coal is found. The Des Moines Valley railroad touches the N. E. corner, and the St. Louis and Cedar Rapids railroad crosses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 155,817 bushels of wheat, 1,142,635 of Indian corn, 296,013 of oats, 55,135 of potatoes, 18,835 tons of hay, 346,277 lbs. of butter, and 111,137 of wool.

There were 7,450 horses, 5,994 milch cows, 10,830 other cattle, 36,364 sheep, and 26,923 swine; 5 gristmills, 10 saw mills, 5 manufactories of saddlery and harness, and 2 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments. Capital, Bloomfield. III. A N. W. county of Kansas, intersected by Kansas river, which together with the Republican forms most of the N. and N. E. boundary; area, 386 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,526. The surface is undulating prairie; the soil is good. Building stone is abundant. The Kansas Pacific and the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 46,550 bushels of wheat, 160,125 of Indian corn, 21,130 of oats, 18,285 of potatoes, 11,431 tons of hay, and 58,525 lbs. of butter. There were 1,308 horses, 1,539 milch cows, and 4,801 other cattle. Capital, Junction City. IV. A N. county of Utah, lying on the E. shore of Great Salt Lake; area, 320 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,459. The Wahsatch mountains are in the E. part. The W. part is good agricultural land; small streams from the mountains furnish irrigation. The Union Pacific and the Utah Central railroads cross it. The chief productions in 1870 were 35,146 bushels of wheat, 5,970 of Indian corn, 9,789 of potatoes, and 737 tons of hay.

The total value of live stock was $80,180. Capital, Farmington.