De Kalb; the name of six counties in the United States.

I. A N. W. County Of Georgia

I. A N. W. County Of Georgia, bounded N. by Chattahoochee river; area, 291 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,014, of whom 2,662 were colored. It has an elevated and somewhat uneven surface. Stone mountain, in the E. part, is one of the greatest natural curiosities in the state. The soil of the river bottoms is remarkably rich. Iron is found, granite is abundant, and gold has been discovered in small quantities. At Decatur are chalybeate springs. The Atlanta and Richmond air-line and the Georgia railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 27,685 bushels of wheat, 156,125 of Indian corn, 14,922 of oats, 10,928 of sweet potatoes, and 1,709 bales of cotton. There were 753 horses, 1,466 milch cows, 2,075 other cattle, 6,702 swine; 2 manufactories of furniture, 1 of paper, 1 of marble and stone work, and 7 saw mills. Capital, Decatur.

II. A N. E. County Of Alabama

II. A N. E. County Of Alabama, bordering on Georgia, drained by Willis creek, an affluent of Coosa river, and Town creek, of the Tennessee; area, about 720 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,126, of whom 470 were colored. A small portion has been recently attached to Etowah county. The valley of Willis creek, about 60 m. long by 5 m. broad, enclosed by Lookout mountain on the S. E. and Sand mountain on the N. W., is fertile and well cultivated. The county is well supplied with water power, and abounds with magnificent scenery. The Alabama and Chattanooga railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 36,888 bushels of wheat, 209,994 of Indian corn, 20,488 of sweet potatoes, and 205 bales of cotton. There were 1,363 horses, 2,389 milch cows, 4,681 other cattle, 6,627 sheep, and 13,094 swine. Capital, Lebanon.

III. A N. Central County Of Tennessee

III. A N. Central County Of Tennessee, area, about 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,425, of whom 1,104 were colored. It is watered by a number of streams, and has a diversified surface and a good soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 81,412 bushels of wheat, 486,823 of Indian corn, 32,259 of oats, 124,789 lbs. of butter, 20,480 of wool, and 87,076 of tobacco. There were 2,737 horses, 2,002 milch cows, 3,347 other cattle, 11,473 sheep, and 20,999 swine. There were 3 flour mills. Capital, Smithville.

IV. A N. E. County Of Indiana

IV. A N. E. County Of Indiana, bordering on Ohio, drained by the St. Joseph's and some smaller rivers; area, 346 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,167. The surface is undulating, and the soil fertile. The Grand Rapids and Indiana railroad touches the S. W. corner, and the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and the Fort Wayne, Jackson, and Saginaw railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 348,940 bushels of wheat, 219,566 of Indian corn, 198,945 of oats, 77,899 of potatoes, 20,440 tons of hay, 444,407 lbs. of butter, and 117,802 of wool. There were 5,839 horses, 5,587 milch cows, 6,820 other cattle, 34,984 sheep, and 5,856 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of barrels and casks, 5 of saddlery and harness, 1 flour mill, and 21 saw mills. Capital, Auburn.

V. A N. County Of Illinois

V. A N. County Of Illinois, area, 648 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 23,265. It has a rolling surface and a fertile soil. Most of the land is occupied by prairies, but there are tracts of valuable timber. It is watered by several streams. The Chicago and Northwestern railroad crosses it, and the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy line intersects the S. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 398,249 bushels of wheat, 1,023,849 of Indian corn, 1,087,074 of oats, 289,447 of barley, 199,478 of potatoes, 68,665 tons of hay, 199;532 lbs. of cheese, 915,804 of butter, 104,-974 of wool, and 304,342 of flax. There were 13,044 horses, 14, 619 milch cows, 18,582 other cattle, 24,993 sheep, and 26,795 swine; 4 flour mills, 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 1 of brooms, 13 of carriages and wagons, 6 of cheese, 1 of dressed flax, and 8 of saddlery and harness. Capital, Syracuse.

VI. A N. W. County Of Missouri

VI. A N. W. County Of Missouri, drained by several small streams which flow into Grand and Platte rivers; area, 441 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,858, of whom 122 were colored. The surface is occupied partly by prairies and partly by woodlands. The soil is very fertile. The Hannibal and St. Joseph railroad skirts the S. border. The chief productions in 1870 were 46,646 bushels of wheat, 521,955 of Indian corn, 125,923 of oats, 44,184 of potatoes, 6,229 tons of hay, 140,795 lbs. of butter, and 26,805 of wool. There were 4,894 horses, 3,665 milch cows, 6,171 other cattle, 11,608 sheep, and 15,813 swirte. Capital, Maysville.