Decatur. I. A S. W. County Of Georgia, bordering on Florida, intersected by Flint river, and bounded W. by the Chattahoochee; area, 1,062 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,183, of whom 7,718 were colored. The surface is irregular, and the soil productive. The Atlantic and Gulf railroad terminates at Bainbridge. The chief productions in 1870 were 215,040 bushels of Indian corn, 23,055 of oats, 52,115 of sweet potatoes, 5,444 bales of cotton, 48,614 lbs. of tobacco, 27,625 of rice, and 49,721 gallons of molasses. There were 742 horses, 3,412 milch cows, 8,800 other cattle, 5,831 sheep, and 10,586 swine. Capital, Bainbridge. II. A S. W. county of Tennessee; area, 325 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,772, of whom 1,056 were colored. The Tennessee river flows along its entire E. boundary, and Beech river intersects it. The surface is nearly level, and almost all the land is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 19,239 bushels of wheat, 314,653 of Indian corn, 20,549 of oats, 15,913 of sweet potatoes, 96,348 lbs. of butter, 44,630 of tobacco, and 1,159 bales of cotton. There were 1,238 horses, 1,436 milch cows, 2,869 other cattle, 5,649 sheep, and 13,508 swine; 8 flour mills, 1 manufactory of pig iron, and 3 leather-currying establishments.
Capital, Decatur-ville. III. A S. E. county of Indiana; area, 372 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,19,053. It is drained by several small streams, and has a level or gently undulating surface; the soil is a rich loam, resting on a basis of limestone. The Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Lafayette railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 382,304 bushels of wheat, 960,167 of Indian corn, 72,712 of oats, 51,074 of potatoes, 12,034 tons of hay, 194,402 lbs. of butter, and 43,725 of wool. There were 6,259 horses, 4,491 milch cows, 9,328 other cattle, 13,810 sheep, and 29,818 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 6 of bricks, 1 of furniture, 10 of saddlery and harness, 3 of woollen goods, 8 flour mills, and 8 saw mills. Capital, Greensburg. IV. A S. county of Iowa, bordering on Missouri, and intersected by Grand river; area, 528 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,018. A great part of the land is occupied by prairies, interspersed with numerous clusters of hard timber, scattered along the streams. The chief productions in 1870 were 83,238 bushels of wheat, 401,879 of Indian corn, 124,120 of oats, 37,617 of potatoes, 14,343 tons of hay, 166,897 lbs. of butter, and 67,430 of wool.
There were 4,298 horses, 3,444 milch cows, 6,349 other cattle, 19,168 sheep, and 15,053 swine; 7 flour mills, 10 saw mills, and two woollen factories. Capital, Leon.