Dordogne, a S. W. department of France, bordering on the departments of Haute-Vienne, Correze, Lot, Lot-et-Garonne, Gironde, Cha-rente-Inferieure, and Charente; area, 3,545 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 480,140. It was formed from the old province of Perigord and parts of Agenois, Angoumois, and Limousin. A large part of the land is occupied by marshes; nearly two thirds are considered unfit for cultivation, but the department is very rich in minerals. Iron, copper, lead, coal, manganese, lithographic stones, and marble are found in large quantities. The surface is hilly, and covered in many places with extensive forests. Chestnuts are abundant, and are cultivated to a considerable extent. Game is plentiful, but cattle, owing to the poorness of the pasture lands, are raised in very small numbers. Red and white wines of good quality are produced; the crops of grain are fair, and the truffles of Dordogne are esteemed the best in France. The principal manufactures are iron, paper, brandy, and liqueurs. The largest rivers are the Dordogne (which rises in Auvergne, flows S. W. and W. through the departments of Correze, Dordogne, and Gironde, and with the Garonne forms the Gironde) and its tributary the Vezere, both of which are navigable.