Eastport, a town of Washington co., Maine, and the port of entry of Passamaquoddy district, situated on the boundary line between the United States and New Brunswick, about 90 m. E. of Bangor; pop. in 1870, 3,736. Its area is little more than 3 sq. m., comprising Moose island and several smaller islands in Passamaquoddy bay. It was incorporated in 1798. The village is compactly built on the S. E. shore of Moose island, and communicates with the mainland by a covered bridge 1,200 ft. long to Perry, and by ferries to Lubec and other places. The town has a spacious harbor, in which the tides rise more than 25 ft., and which is never blocked up by ice. In the season of navigation regular lines of steamers run up the river St. Croix to St. Andrew's and Calais, and also to Boston, Portland, and St. John, N. B. The harbor is defended by Fort Sullivan, which stands on a hill in the midst of the village. The custom house is a fine building of brick and stone, erected in 1850 at a cost of $36,500. The trade with the neighboring British provinces is large, and lumber is exported in considerable quantities. East-port is also the seat of a considerable fishing business. Large quantities of herring are taken in weirs about the shores of the bay.
The value of imports from foreign countries for the year ending June 30, 1872, was $933,536; exports to foreign ports, $1,036,350. The town contains a national bank, a savings institution, a fire insurance company, a weekly newspaper, six school houses, which have an average attendance of about 450 pupils, and seven churches. - Eastport was captured by a British force July 11, 1814. It was claimed as included in the original limits of the province of New Brunswick, and the British commissioners at Ghent refused to agree to the surrender of the island in Passamaquoddy bay. The matter was referred to another commission, and on June 30, 1818, the place was surrendered to the United States. During the four years of military occupation it was governed by martial law.