Embrun (anc. Eburodunum), a fortified town of Dauphiny, France, in the department of Hautes-Alpes, 19 m. E. by N. of Gap; pop. in 1866, 4,736. It is a dreary-looking town of great antiquity, built upon a rock at whose foot flows the Durance. It contains a cathedral with a fine Romanesque tower, and near the former episcopal palace, which is used as a barrack, rises a quaint tower of ancient masonry known as la tour brune. The fortress is of the fourth rank, and is separated by a ditch from the mountain behind it. The principal manufactures are of woollen and linen goods. - The bishops (subsequently archbishops) of Embrun are traced back to the days of Con-stantine the Great, and were endowed by Conrad II. with princely power over a large part of Dauphiny. A portion of their archives was carried off during the wars of the league, and is now in the public library of Cambridge, England. Embrun was successively sacked by the Vandals, Huns, Saxons, and Moors; in 1573 it was taken by the Protestants, who razed the citadel; and in 1692 it was devastated by the duke of Savoy. Louis XIV. built the chateau of Mont-Dauphin in the vicinity.