Enfield, a town of Hartford co., Connecticut, bordering on Massachusetts, situated on the E. bank of the Connecticut river, and on the New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield railroad, 14 m. N. of Hartford; pop. in 1870, 6,322. It was settled in 1681, and formed part of Springfield, Mass., till 1752, when it was annexed to Connecticut. It is connected with Suffield on the opposite bank of the river by a bridge constructed in 1808, the first one built across the stream in this state. A mile or two below is an iron truss bridge, 1,525 ft. long, erected in 1866 at a cost of $265,000, over which the railroad crosses to Windsor Locks. A canal 5 1/2 m. long has been constructed around the falls of the Connecticut in this town, which is intersected by the Scantic and Freshwater rivers, branches of that stream. Enfield contains the villages of Thompsonville and Hazardville, the former being noted for its carpet factory, which contains 141 looms, and manufactures 1,800,000 yards annually, and the latter as the seat of one of the most extensive powder mills in the world. There are also manufactories of sewing machines, ploughs, carriages, sashes and blinds, harness, hats, bricks, distilled spirits, ale, and porter; a savings bank, a trust company, several schools, and four churches.
The town contains a community of Shakers, who are especially noted for their culture of garden seeds.
Enfield, a market town and parish of Middlesex, England, 9 m. N. by E. of London; pop. of the parish about 13,000. It is noted as the seat of an ancient palace, now half ruined, built in the time of Henry VII., and of the government manufactory of the rifles which take their name from this place. The term "Enfield rifle " does not denote any particular improvement, but the result of a series of improvements on the old musket. (See Rifle.)