Fort Moultrie, a fortification on Sullivan's island at the mouth of Charleston harbor, where a victory was gained, June 28, 1776, by the South Carolina troops under Col. William Moultrie over a British fleet commanded by Sir Peter Parker. Early in that month the fleet of 40 or 50 sail arrived off Charleston with a view of investing that place. A fort which Moultrie was then building was ordered to be finished at once. On the morning of the attack it consisted of a square with a bastion at each angle, built of palmetto logs laid in parallel rows 16 ft. apart, the interspaces being filled with sand. It mounted 26 guns, and had a garrison of 435 men. Four vessels of the British fleet, with 156 guns, anchored at a distance of 350 yards and opened fire; but the balls, sinking into the soft wood, produced littie effect, while the fire from the fort was very-destructive to the vessels. The whole number of guns carried by the attacking fleet was 262, on eight vessels. The action lasted, with some intermissions, from about noon until after 9 o'clock in the evening, when such of the vessels as were not disabled drew off. Several auxiliary attempts were made in the mean while by other parts of the British force, but without result.

The loss of the British was 205 killed and wounded; that of the Americans 11 killed and 26 wounded. In December, 1860, Fort Moultrie was occupied by a United States force under Major Robert Anderson, who on the 26th withdrew to Fort Sumter. (See Anderson, Robert.) Fort Moultrie now exists only in name. Sullivan's island, upon which it stood, after being almost devastated during the civil war, has since come to be a suburb and watering place of Charleston.