Godavery , a large river of British India, rising in the Western Ghauts, about 60 m. from the Indian ocean, lat. 19° 58' N., Ion. 73° 30' E., and, after a S. E. course of 900 m. across the peninsula, flowing into the bay of Bengal by two principal channels. It receives in its course the Manjera from the south, and the Poorna and Wurdah from the north. After the junction of the Wurdah it is a mile wide, and after passing through the mountainous region it becomes 4 m. wide. The delta commences at Pechakalunka, in lat. 16° 57' N, Ion. 81° 49' E., and contains an area of 500 sq. m. The banks of the river on each side are marked by ridges a few feet high, formed by deposits during the inundation. From Coringa, at its principal mouth, the navigation was until recently practicable only for vessels drawing not more than 3 ft., and at Sinteral, about 140 m. up the river, were several barriers. A dam now stretches across the Godavery above one of these barriers, nearly a mile long, and from 10 to 12 ft. wide. A canal is thus formed about 26 m. long, which is provided with double locks 200 ft. long and 25 ft. wide.
At Enchapully is a barrier of rocks, and the river becomes very tortuous; here another dam has been formed of loose stones, 3,000 ft. long and 12 to 24 ft. high, and a canal was made to connect it with the lower level. By these means the river is open for navigation up to the Wurdah, which can be ascended near to the cotton mart of Umrawutty. The completion of these works has given a strong impulse to the progress of the country. As early as 1846 the East India company began their construction, but the outbreak of the mutiny in 1857 checked the work for a long time. In 1863 the work was resumed, and the river, formerly navigable only for small craft and during the rainy season, now carries large ships and steamboats far inland.