Grafton , a W. county of New Hampshire, bounded N. by the Connecticut river; area, 1,403 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 39,103. It has a mountainous surface, containing some of the celebrated summits of the White mountains and the Franconia range. Much of the land is devoted to pasturage, but parts of it are susceptible of high cultivation. The Northern (N. II.) and its Bristol branch, the White Mountain, and the Boston, Concord, and Montreal railroads pass through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 57,802 bushels of wheat, 198,165 of Indian corn, 390,172 of oats, 1,078,208 of potatoes, 1,095,023 lbs. of butter, 189,602 of cheese, 440,197 of wool, 050,445 of maple sugar, 20,377 of hops, and 140,220 tons of hay. There were 7,135 horses, 12,748 milch cows, 0,G85 working oxen, 14,562 other cattle, 86,681 sheep, and 4,302 swine. The number of manufactories was 646, with an aggregate capital of 32,362,735; value of products, $5,012,033. The most important were 5 of agricultural implements, 15 of clothing, 1 of elastic sponge, 7 of furniture, 14 of gloves and mittens, 5 of hosiery, 3 of iron castings, 11 of dressed skins, 8 of paper, 4 of shoe pegs, 25 of starch, 0 of woollen goods, 09 saw mills, 10 tanneries, 5 currying establishments, and 6 flour mills.
Fig. 5. - Inarching.
Grafton , a town of Worcester co., Massachusetts, on the Blackstone and Quinsigamond rivers, and on the Blackstone canal and the Boston and Albany and Providence and Wor-cester railroads, 38 m. S. W. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 4,594. It comprises several villages, and is extensively engaged in manufacturing, the canal and rivers furnishing water power. There are 8 cotton mills, with 30,170 spindles, several currying establishments, and extensive boot and shoe factories. The town has also mica quarries, two national banks, 18 public schools, including a high school, and seven churches.