Greeley' ,.I. A central county of Nebraska, formed since the census of 1870, drained by branches of Loup fork of the Platte river; area, 625 sq. m. II. An E. county of Dakota territory, recently formed, and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 900 sq. m. It consists mostly of table land, being largely occupied by the "Coteau des Prairies," and contains several small lakes.
Greeley , a town of Weld co., Colorado, on the S. bank of the Cache a la Poudre river, a few miles above its junction with the South Platte, and on the Denver Pacific railroad, 50 m, N. by E. of Denver; pop. in 1870, 480; in 1874, about 1,500. It is situated about 30 m. E. of the Rocky mountains, and is the centre of a rapidly improving region, well supplied with coal, stone, and timber. It contains three tanneries, two saw mills, a grist mill, three hotels, two banks, a graded school building costing $25,000, two weekly newspapers, a quarterly and a semi-annual periodical, and six churches. Greeley was founded in April, 1870, by the Union colony, which was organized in New York on Dec. 23, 1869, and was named in honor of Horace Greeley, one of its promoters. The colony purchased 12,000 acres of land, and took the preliminary steps to secure a large amount more from the government. The town site was divided into 483 business lots, 660 residence lots, and 81 lots reserved for churches, schools, etc. The adjoining lands were divided into sections of from 5 to 40 acres, and each colonist was allowed to select one.
A public square of 10 acres, planted with trees and beautified with artificial lakes, was laid out in the centre of the town, and an island in the river just above the town, embracing 50 acres and covered with cottonwood trees, was reserved for public use. All deeds of property contain clauses prohibiting the manufacture or sale of liquor in any form. An extensive system of irrigation has been established. The valuation of town property in 1874 was $850,000; of farming lands, $1,500,000.