Greene , the name of counties in 14 of the United States. I. A S. E. county of New-York, bounded E. by the Hudson river, and drained by Catskill creek and Schoharie river; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 31,832. The surface is broken by the Catskill mountains, which are mostly sterile. The valleys and level districts of the N. E. contain some excellent soil. A branch of the New York Central railroad from Schenectady terminates at Athens in this county. The chief productions in 1870 were 72,016 bushels of rye, 138,-889 of Indian corn, 378,422 of oats, 97,947 of buckwheat, 276,787 of potatoes, 1,538,203 lbs. of butter, 52,147 of woo], and 103,357 tons of hay. There were 5,902 horses, 14,825 milch cows, 10,791 other cattle, 12,778 sheep, and 6,276 swine; 10 manufactories of carriages, 10; of bricks, 6 of barrels and casks, 1 of cotton goods, 8 of furniture, 5 of iron castings, 2 of machinery, 2 of paper, 9 of saddlery and har-ness, 4 of woollen goods, 5 ship yards, 4 saw mills, 7 flour mills, and 4 tanneries. Capital, Catskill. II. A S. W. county of Pennsylvania, bounded S. and W. by West Virginia and E. by the Monongahcla, and watered by several small streams; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,887. It has a hilly surface and a fertile soil, and abounds in bituminous coal.
The chief productions in 1870 were 255,584 bushels of wheat, 26,606 of rye, 749,520 of Indian corn, county of Mississippi, bordering on Alabama, drained by Chickasawha and Leaf rivers, which unite in the S. part to form the Pascagoula; area, 830 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,038, of whom of butter, 444,489 of wool, and 23,206 tons of hay. There were 7,278 horses, 7,369 milch cows, 15,380 other cattle, 121,135 sheep, and 19,580 swine; 7 manufactories of carriages, 6 of barrels and casks, 8 of furniture, 14 of saddlery and harness, 4 of stone and earthenware, 3 of woollen goods, 4 flour and 4 saw mills, 8 tanneries, and 6 currying establishments. Capital, Waynesburg. III. A central county of Virginia, lying partly on the S. E. slope, of the Blue Ridge, and bounded N. E. by Rapidan river; area, 230 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,634, of whom 1,452 were colored. It has an uneven surface, traversed by some fertile valleys. The chief productions in 1870 were 36,060 bushels of wheat, 84,033 of Indian corn, 37,886 of oats, and 262,030 lbs. of tobacco. There were 1,046 horses, 885 milch cows, 1,221 other cattle, and 3,466 swine.
Capital, Stanardsville. IV. An E. county of North Carolina, drained by the Mackoson, an affluent of the Neuse river; area, about 280 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,687, of whom 4,521 were colored. The surface is level and the soil fertile. Marl is found in several places. The chief productions in 1870 were 223,988 bushels of Indian corn, 23,521 of peas and beans, 44,531 of sweet potatoes, and 6,268 bales of cotton. There were 779 horses, 982 milch cows, 2,225 other cattle, and 9,657 swine. Capital, Snow Hill. V. A N. E. central county of Georgia, bounded S. W. by the Appalachee and Oconee rivers, the latter of which intersects the N. W. part; area, 374 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,454, of whom 8,156 were colored. It is intersected by the Georgia and Athens branch railroads. It has a hilly surface, and the soil, though originally fertile, is partly worn out. The chief productions in 1870 were 24,651 bushels of wheat, 132,635 of Indian corn, 9,735 of oats, 13,971 of sweet potatoes, 63,020 lbs. of butter, and 5,699 bales of cotton. There were 829 horses, 993 mules and asses, 1,384 milch cows, 2,651 other cattle, 2,240 slice]), and 5,100 swine; 3 carriage factories, 1 cotton factory, and 6 flour mills.
Capital, Greens-borough. VI. A W. county of Alabama, bounded S. E. by Black Warrior river and S. W. by the Tombigbee, the two streams uniting at the S. W. extremity of the county, and being navigable by steamboats during half the year; area, about 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,399, of whom 14,541 were colored. The surface is moderately uneven; the soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 207,782 bushels of Indian corn, 22,080 of sweet potatoes, and 9,910 bales of cotton. There were 1,077 horses, 2,101 mules and asses, 2,145 milch cows, 3,459 other cattle, 2.576 sheep, and 6,674 swine. Capital, Eutaw. VII. A S. E.
438,222 of oats, 53,712 of potatoes. 759,135 lbs.
372 were colored. It has an undulating surface, a soil only moderately fertile, and pine forests. The Mobile and Ohio railroad touches the N. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 21,473 bushels of Indian corn, and 13,877 of sweet potatoes. There were 400 horses, 2,402 milch cows, 3,777 other cattle, 4,357 sheep, and 7,338 swine. Capital, Leakes-ville. VIII. A N. E. county of Arkansas, bounded N. by Missouri, and separated from it on the E. by St.. Francis river, and bordered S. W. by the Cache river; area, 950 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,573 of whom 156 were colored. The surface is level, and the soil of the river bottoms fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 10,890 bushels of wheat, 208,352 of Indian corn, 10,623 of oats, 12,904 of sweet and 7,691 of Irish potatoes, and 983 bales of cotton. There were 1,173 horses, 1,305 milch cows, 2,852 other cattle, 2,727 sheep, and 8,232 swine. Capital, Gainesville. IX. A N. E. county of Tennessee, bordering on North Carolina, and traversed by Noli-chucky river; area, 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,688, of whom 2,064 were colored. It contains valuable beds of iron ore. The surface is elevated, uneven, and well timbered. It is traversed by the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia, and the Cincinnati, Cumberland Gap, and Charleston railroads.
The chief productions in 1870 were 238,716 bushels of wheat, 496,659 of Indian corn, 149,518 of oats, 21,296 of Irish and 11,331 of sweet potatoes, 268,411 lbs. of butter, and 7,124 tons of hay. There were 4,644 horses, 5,279 milch cows, 8,008 other cattle, 21,130 sheep, and 25,306 swine; 2 blast furnaces, 3 flour and 5 saw mills, 10 tanneries, and 7 currying establishments. Capital, Greeneville. X. A S. W. county of Ohio, watered by Mad and Little Miami rivers; area, 432 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 28,038. It contains limestone and variegated marble. The surface is undulating, and the soil consists of fertile clay. It is traversed by the Little Miami railroad, the Dayton, Xenia, and Western, and the Springfield branch, which connect at Xenia, the Atlantic and Great Western, and the Cincinnati, Sandusky, and Cleveland railroads. Antioch college is at Yellow Springs in this county. The chief productions in 1870 were 643,980 bushels of wheat, 10,674 of rye, 1,527,647 of Indian corn, 152,747 of oats, 22,491 of barley, 83,270 of potatoes, 370,179 lbs. of butter, 109,591 of wool, 277,360 of tobacco, 14,283 tons of hay, 1,137,675 lbs. of flax, and 38,998 bushels of flax seed.
There were 7,585 horses, 5,741 milch cows, 8,695 other cattle, 29,320 sheep, and 3,395 swine; 2 manufactories of bagging, 8 of bricks, 21 of carriages, 21 of clothing, 2 of barrels and casks, 1 of cordage and twine, 1 of gunpowder, 3 of linseed oil, 5 bakeries, 11 flour mills, 1 tannery, 1 currying establishment, 1 distillery, and 8 saw mills. Capital, Xenia. XI. A S. W. county of Indiana, drained by the W. fork of White river; area, 540 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 19,541. It is diversified by prairies, oak openings, and forests, and has a rich soil. The Indianapolis and Vincennes railroad and the Wabash and Erie canal pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 190,647 bushels of wheat, 784,195 of Indian corn, 101,410 of oats, 39,639 of potatoes, 160,958 lbs. of butter, 79,319 of wool, 112,242 of tobacco, and 7,833 tons of bay. There were 6,464 horses, 4,530 milch cows, 8,132 other cattle, 30,341 sheep, and 26,195 swine; 5 flour mills, 11 saw mills, and 1 distillery. Capital, Bloomfield. XII. A W. county of Illinois, bounded W. by the Illinois river; area, 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 20,277. It has a rolling surface and a fertile soil, and contains an abundance of anthracite coal and timber.
It is traversed by the Chicago and Alton railroad (Jacksonville division), and the Rockford, Rock Island, and St. Louis railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 577,400 bushels of wheat, 1,051,313 of Indian corn, 64,029 of oats, 50,435 of potatoes, 195,992 lbs. of butter, 70,854 of wool, and 20,031 tons of hay. There were 9,034 horses, 4,479 milch cows, 13,146 other cattle, 13,690 sheep, and 31,690 swine; 12 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 6 of saddlery and harness, 3 of stone and earthern ware, 1 of woollen goods, 5 of bricks, 4 saw and 5 flour mills. Capital, Car-rollton. XIII. A W. central county of Iowa, intersected by Raccoon river; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,627. It consists mostly of prairies. It is traversed by the Chicago and Northwestern and the Des Moines Valley railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 98,943 bushels of wheat, 226,965 of Indian corn, 54,967 of oats, 18,951 of potatoes, and 6,862 tons of hay. There were 1,774 horses, 1,300 milch cows, 2,966 other cattle, 3,875 sheep, and 5,852 swine; 1 flour mill, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Jefferson. XIV. A S. W. county of Missouri, drained by branches of the Osage and White rivers; area, 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,549, of whom 2,156 were colored.
The surface is diversified and occupied by alternate forests and prairies. Limestone and lead are found. The soil is fertile. It is traversed by the Atlantic and Pacific railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 171,166 bushels of wheat, 859,953 of Indian corn, 256,-096 of oats, 47,626 of potatoes, 159,245 lbs. of butter, 37,491 of wool, and 4,487 tons of hay. There were 6,752 horses, 4,661 milch cows, 7,940 other cattle, 22,492 sheep, and 29,542 swine; 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 3 of bricks, 1 of iron castings, 3 of carriages, 1 of engines and boilers, 2 of saddlery and harness, 2 of tobacco and snuff, 5 flour mills, 1 distillery, 1 planing mill, and 7 saw mills. Capital, Springfield.
Greene ,.I. Nathaniel, an American author, born in Boscawen, N. H., May 20, 1797. At the age of 12 he entered the office of the "New Hampshire Patriot" at Concord, and at 15 became editor of the " Concord Gazette." Removing to Portsmouth in 1814, he edited for a year the "New Hampshire Gazette." From 1815 to 1817 he conducted the "Gazette" at Haverhill, Mass. He commenced the publication of the "Essex Patriot" at Haverhill in May, 1817, and conducted it for nearly four years, when he removed to Boston, and established, Feb. 6, 1821, the "Boston Statesman," which became the leading democratic journal of the state. In 1829, on the election of President Jackson, Mr. Greene was made postmaster of Boston, which office he held till 1841, and again from 1845 to 1849. In 1836 he translated a "History of Italy" from the Italian of Sforzozi, which was followed by the translation of two volumes of "Tales from the German" (Boston, 1837). Six years later he published "Tales and Sketches from the French, German, and Italian." II. Charles Gordon, an American journalist, brother of the preceding, born in Boscawen, N. II., July 1, 1804. At an early age he was placed in the office of the "Essex Patriot" as an apprentice, whence he was removed to a printing office at Exeter. At 18 he went to Boston, and became connected with the "Statesman," his brother's journal.
He conducted in 1825-'6 the "Free Press" at Taunton. Returning to Boston, he published a literary paper, the "Spectator," after which he resumed his connection with the "Statesman." In 1827 he removed to Philadelphia, where he was one of the conductors of the "National Palladium," the first Pennsylvania journal that advocated the election of Gen. Jackson to the presidency. In 1828 he was employed in the office of the "United States Telegraph," conducted by Gen. Duff Green, at Washington, then the principal journal of the democratic party. After the election of Jackson he succeeded his brother Nathaniel as one of the proprietors and publishers of the "Statesman," of which he finally became sole proprietor. On Nov. 9, 1831, he issued the first number of the Boston "Morning Post." He has several times been a candidate for member of congress. He was naval officer at Boston from 1853 to 1857.