Guzerat , or Gujerat (Hindoo, Gurjara Rash-tra), a large district of India, in the province of Bombay, between lat, 20° 45'and 24° 45' X., and Ion. 69° and 74° 20' E., bounded X. by the gulf of Cutch and Rajpootana, E. by Candeish and Malwa, S. by several British collectorates, the gulf of Cambay, and the Arabian sea, and W. by Cutch and the sea; area, 41,536 sq. m.; pop. estimated at 3,000,000. It comprehends the peninsula of Cattywar, the dominions of the guicowar, and several petty native states. The Western Ghauts form its E. boundary as far X. as lat. 21° 28', when they turn eastward. The W. extremities of the Sautpoora and Vin-dhya mountains extend a short distance into the province. The central regions are level and open. The principal rivers are the Subbermut-tee, Mhyee, Nerbudda, Taptee, and western Bu-nass. The mineral resources are small, and confined chiefly to iron and fine carnelians. The lion, tiger, leopard, wolf, hy;ena, antelope, deer, nylgau, camel, and buffalo are common. The staple crop is cotton, which occupies about one half of the tilled land. Rice is much cultivated, and wheat, barley, bajra (the principal food of the poorer classes), gram, etc, are abundant.

The inhabitants comprise Hindoos, Mahrattas, Rajpoots, Parsees, Coolies, Koon-bies (an agricultural tribe), Dunjas (who subsist chiefly by the chase and fishing), Catties (who predominate in Cattywar), Jains, Bheels, Charuns, and Bhats. Among the principal towns are Baroda, Dongurpoor, and Cambay. - Guzerat formed part of the Mohammedan empire of Delhi, and, after having been separated from it during the Toghluk dynasty, was reannexed by Akbar in 1572, and remained a dependency till 1724. The Mahratta peishwa and the guicowar held large possessions in Guzerat, but the authority of the latter only is now recognized, the peishwa's territory having been ceded to the British.