Hagerstown , a city and the capital of Wash- . ington co., Maryland, on the W. bank of An-tietam creek, 22 m. above its entrance into the Potomac, and at the intersection of the Cumberland Valley and Western Maryland railroads with the Washington County branch of the Baltimore and Ohio line, 60 m. W. N. W. of Baltimore; pop. in 1860, 4,132; in 1870, 5,779, of ♦whom 869 were colored. It has broad streets, is built mostly of brick and stone, and contains a handsome court house, recently erected at a cost of $77,000. It is surrounded by a rich agricultural region, and has considerable trade. There are two iron founderies, a manufactory of agricultural implements, an extensive flour mill, two sash and door factories, an extensive bone mill, a tannery, and a national and a state bank, with an aggregate capital of $250,000. About 7 m. S. of Hagerstown is the college of St. James, an Episcopal institution. The city, besides several public schools, contains a female seminary, an academy for boys, a daily, a semi-weekly, and three weekly newspapers, and 12 churches, of which two are for colored people.