Halberstadt , a town of Prussian Saxony, in the district and 28 m. S. W. of the city of Magdeburg, on the right bank of the Hol-zemme; pop. in 1871, 25,421. The principal public buildings are the Dom or cathedral, a Gothic structure restored in 1850, which contains celebrated collections of the episcopal and priestly robes of the middle ages, and the Lieb-frauenkirche, erected in the 11th century, in the Byzantine style, with singular bass-reliefs and wall paintings. Halberstadt has a gymnasium and a number of schools, two large libraries, and good collections of coins, antiquities, and pictures, many of the last in the so-called " temple of friendship." The chief manufactures are woollen cloth, gloves, carpets, refined sugar, leather, tobacco, cigars, and chemical products. The poet Gleim gathered around him in this town a large circle of authors, which was called the poetical union of Halberstadt; and he was buried here. In the middle ages the bishopric of Halberstadt formed a state of the empire.