Hallowell , a city of Kennebec co.. Maine, on the W. bank of the Kennebec river, and on the Augusta division of the Maine Central railroad, 2 m. below Augusta, and 4 m. above Gardiner; pop. in 1860, 2,435; in 1870, 3,007. It is built on rising ground, the principal avenues running parallel to the river, and the cross streets having an ascent of about 200 ft. from the water's edge to the crest of the hill. The upper part of the city is occupied by residences, the lower by stores, factories, and warehouses.
Hallowell is at the head of ocean steamboat navigation, and the wharves are accessible by vessels of 9 ft. draught. Excellent granite is obtained in the neighborhood. It contains a cotton mill, two iron founderies, several granite works, marble works, three tanning and currying establishments, and manufactories of boots and shoes, bricks, cabinet ware, candles, carriages, floor oil cloth, lumber, machinery, putty and whiting, soap and potash, trunks, etc. There are two halls, including the city hall, a hotel, two national banks, a savings bank, a classical school, 13 public schools (including a high school), a free library of 5,000 volumes, and six churches. - Hallowell was permanently settled soon after the erection of Fort Western in 1754 on the site of the present city, although a few traders or colonists resided there a century earlier. It was incorporated as a town in 1771, at which time it included Augusta, Chelsea, the greater part of Manchester, and a portion of Farmingdale and Gardiner. A city charter was adopted in 1852.