Hanover , an E. county of Virginia, drained by North Anna and South Anna rivers, which unite on its N. E. border to form the Pamun-key; area, 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,455, of whom 8,5G2 were colored. The surface is uneven, and the soil much diversified and capable of being improved. The Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac, and the Chesapeake and Ohio railroads traverse the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 122,593 bushels of wheat, 225,517 of Indian corn, 119,-211 of oats, 29,278, of Irish and 35,775 of sweet potatoes, 439,434 lbs. of tobacco, and 72,013 of butter. There were 1,468 horses, 983 mules and asses, 2,175 milch cows, 1,303 other cattle, 2,260 sheep, and 8,420 swine; 15 flour mills, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Hanover Court House.
Hanover ,.I. A town of Grafton co., New Hampshire, on the E. bank of the Connecticut river, opposite Norwich, Vt., with which it communicates by a bridge, 50 m. N. W. of Concord; pop. in 1870, 2,085. The surface is in some parts uneven, but the greater portion is admirably adapted for agriculture. The soil is fertile, and there is probably less waste land in Hanover than in any other part of the county. The Moose mountain, an elevated ridge, runs across the town from N. to S. about 5 m. from the Connecticut. The Connecticut rind Passumpsic Rivers railroad passes on the opposite side of the river. The principal village is situated about 1/2 m. from the river, on an elevated plain, and is built around a public square of six acres, on which front the principal edifices. It is the seat of Dartmouth college. (See Dartmouth College.) The town contains a national bank, a hotel, two post offices (Hanover and Hanover Centre), 18 public schools (two graded), a monthly periodical published by the college students, and four churches. II. A town of Jefferson co., Indiana, on the Ohio river, 5 m. below Madison, and 80 m. S. E. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 504. It occupies a healthy situation on a high bluff, and is surrounded by fine scenery.
It is the seat of Hanover college (Presbyterian), established as Hanover academy in 1827. and chartered as a university in 1833. The college grounds embrace more than 200 acres, and contain the president's house, a professors' residence, and a college building 200 ft. long by 80 ft. in breadth. The property and endowment amount to $275,000. The college embraces a collegiate and a preparatory department, each comprising a classical and a scientific course. Tuition is free. In 1872-'3 there were 9 professors, 2 tutors, and 134 students; total number of graduates, 403.