Harflelr , a town of France, in the department of Seine-lnferieure, on the small river Lezarde, about 2 m. W. of the Seine, 4 m. N. E. of Havre, and 4 m. S. W. of Honfleur, with which it is occasionally confounded; pop. in 1866, 1,966. It was once a bulwark against foreign invasion and an important port, but deposits brought down by the Lezarde have spoiled the harbor by forming a fringe of land, gradually increasing the distance to the mouth of the Seine. The vicissitudes of war, the revocation of the edict of Nantes, and especially the rise of Havre, gave a final blow to Har-fleur, and the fortifications have been demolished. It has one of the most renowned later Gothic churches of Normandy, with a famous belfry; a modern chateau with a beautiful park; and in the vicinity are delightful promenades. It continues also to have a considerable coasting trade, and possesses a number of manufactories. The fisheries are likewise prosperous. - Henry V. of England captured Harfleur in 1415, expelling many of the inhabitants, whom he replaced with English settlers.

The English were driven from the town in 1433 by the neighboring people of the territory (pays) of Caux, but the English subsequently reoccupied it for a number of years, their domination finally terminating in 1450. Vauban designed a canal to connect Harfleur with Havre, which remains unfinished.