Harwich , a seaport of Essex, England, situated on a point of land opposite the confluence of the Orwell and Stour, 66 m. N. E. of London; pop. in 1871, 6,107. The harbor is one of the best on the E. coast of England, being completely sheltered, and having water sufficient to float the largest ships of war. Hundreds of colliers and other vessels anchor here during the prevalence of N. E. winds. It is defended by three forts and a redoubt, with a moat and drawbridge. Two fixed lights indicate the entrance, which is encumbered with rocks, and dangerous without a pilot. Steam packets sail regularly between Harwich and Antwerp, in connection with the Great Eastern railway. Ship building, and other employments connected with maritime affairs, occupy a great portion of the population. Harwich has become a place of fashionable summer resort, as it is surrounded by beautiful scenery and affords sea bathing. The town is of Saxon origin. In 1318 it was incorporated by Edward II., and in the campaign of 1346-'7 it supplied 14 ships to the fleet of Edward III.