Hastings , a municipal and parliamentary borough of Sussex, England, 54 m. S. S. E. of London, with which it is connected by railway; pop. of the town in 1871, 29,289; of the borough, 33,335. Hastings is one of the cinque ports, and is pleasantly situated on the coast, being sheltered on three sides by hills and cliffs. It consists of an old and a new town. The trade is inconsiderable. Crowds of visitors flock to it during the bathing season. - The battle of Hastings, between William of Normandy and Harold, king of the Anglo-Saxons, was fought on Oct. 14, 1066, at Senlac, six miles from Hastings. The Normans, formidable by their cavalry and bowmen, advanced to the attack, and were met by the Anglo-Saxons with their battle axes, the Kentish men in front. The battle continued from 9 o'clock in the morning till sunset, and the Anglo-Saxons suffered severely by advancing to pursue the Normans, who feigned retreat; yet they maintained their position till Harold fell pierced by an arrow. Then their efforts immediately relaxed, and they dispersed at dusk. "The subjugation of a nation by a nation," says Macaulay, speaking of the consequences of the battle, "has seldom, even in Asia, been more complete." Upon the battle field the conqueror within two years founded the "abbey of bataille," and the name of Senlac was changed to that of Battle, which the place still bears.
The victorious army numbered 60,000 men, more than one fourth of whom were left on the field; the number of the vanquished and their loss are unknown.
Battle Abbey, Hastings.
Hastings , a central county of Ontario, Canada, bordering on the bay of Quinte, an inlet of Lake Ontario; area, 2,337 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 48,364, of whom 20,408 were of Irish, 11,543 of English, 5,968 of German, 5,120 of Scotch, 2,785 of French, and 1,54T of Dutch origin or descent. The surface is interspersed with small lakes and rivulets. Gold is found in the interior. The county is traversed by the Grand Trunk railway. Capital, Belleville.
Hastings , a city and the capital of Dakota co., Minnesota, on the right bank of the Mississippi river, at the mouth of the Vermilion, and about 5 m. above the mouth of the St. Croix, 20 m. E. S. E. of St. Paul; pop. in 1860, 1,053; in 1870, 3,458. Railroad communication is furnished by the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul, and the Hastings and Dakota lines. The Vermilion here falls 110 ft. in half a mile, and furnishes abundant water power. The principal manufactories are four flour mills, a saw mill, and a shingle mill. The city has a three-story brick hotel, a large central school house, containing the high school, and having eight teachers, three school houses with one teacher each, a Catholic school and a second in course of erection, a national bank, two weekly newspapers, and eight churches.