Henderson , the name of five counties in the United States. 1. A S. W. county of North Carolina, bordering on South Carolina, bounded S. by the Blue Ridge, and drained by French Broad river; area, 425 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,706, of whom 1,208 were colored. The surface is hilly, and the soil adapted chiefly to grazing. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,348 bushels of wheat, 22,298 of rye, 212,914 of Indian corn, 21,101 of oats, 14,960 of potatoes, 22,886 lbs. of tobacco, 14,434 of wool, 82,916 of butter, and 417 tons of hay. There were 825 horses, 2,249 milch cows, 4,347 other cattle, 6,235 sheep, and 9,817 swine. Capital, Hendersonville. II. A N. E. county of Texas, bounded E. by the Neches and S. W. by Trinity river; area, 934 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,786, of whom 1,654 were colored. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile and well watered. There is some timber, but the greater portion of the county is prairie. The chief productions in 1870 were 156,804 bushels of Indian corn, 23,075 of sweet potatoes, and 2,967 bales of cotton. There were 1,538 horses, 5,109 milch cows, 11,828 other cattle, 1,345 sheep, and 15,980 swine.
Capital, Athens. III. A W. county of Tennessee, drained by Beech and Big Sandy rivers, and other streams; area, 780 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,217, of whom 2,408 were colored. It has a nearly level surface, is well timbered, and has a fertile soil, suitable for grain, grass, and the vine. The Mobile and Ohio railroad touches the S. W. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 41,274 bushels of wheat, 547,805 of Indian corn, 30,736 of sweet potatoes, 15,134 lbs. of tobacco, 15,923 of wool, 142,847 of butter, and 4,191 bales of cotton. There were 2,816 horses, 1,679 mules and asses, 3,649 milch cows, 1,308 working oxen, 5,318 other cattle, 10,168 sheep, and 32,559 swine. Capital, Lexington. IV. A X. W. county of Kentucky, separated from Indiana on the N. by the Ohio river, and drained also by Green river; area, 725 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,457, of whom 5,990 were colored. It abounds in coal, has a hilly surface, and is fertile in grain and tobacco. The St. Louis and Southeastern railroad runs through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 47,586 bushels of wheat, 739,652 of Indian corn, 6,600,506 lbs. of tobacco, 19,985 of wool, and 84,174 of butter. There were 2,867 horses, 1,656 mules and asses, 2,664 milch cows, 4,355 other cattle, 7,681 sheep, and 19,652 swine.
Capital, Henderson. V. A W. county of Illinois, bordering on Iowa, bounded W. by the Mississippi, and drained by Henderson river and other streams; area, 390 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,575. It has a diversified surface, occupied by fertile prairies and tracts of timber. Coal and limestone are found. The Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad and Carthage branch, and the Rock-ford, Rock Island, and St. Louis railroad traverse the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 230,174 bushels of wheat, 96,430 of rye, 1,712,901 of Indian corn, 229,286 of oats, 59,711 of potatoes, 23,317 lbs. of wool, 267,268 of butter, and 12,326 tons of hay. There were 7,075 horses, 4,485 milch cows, 8,797 other cattle, 6,146 sheep, and 27,762 swine; 10 manufactories of carriages, 6 of saddlery and harness, 1 of woollen goods, 3 distilleries, 6 flour mills, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Oquawka.
Henderson , a city and the capital of Henderson co., Kentucky, on the Ohio river, about 200 m. below Louisville, and 150 m. W. of Frankfort; pop. in 1870, 4,171, of whom 1,489 were colored. It is situated in a well timbered region, productive of grain and tobacco, and abounding in coal and salt. Steamers run regularly to Louisville, Memphis, and other points, and the St. Louis and Southeastern railroad furnishes communication with St. Louis and Nashville. Large quantities of tobacco, corn, and wheat are shipped, and there are 16 tobacco stemmeries, a cigar factory, four manufactories of wagons, two of carriages, two of saddlery and harness, a foundery, car works, a brewery, two distilleries, and three flour mills. The city has handsome fair grounds, water works, six hotels, a fine station house, court house and jail, two public school houses, three weekly newspapers, and 11 churches.