Henrico , a S. E. county of Virginia, bounded S.W. by James river, and N. E. by the Chicka-hominy; area, 291 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 66,179, of whom 31,031 were colored. The surface is diversified with hills of no great height; bituminous coal abounds in the W. part, but most of the soil is light and poor. The James river and Kanawha canal has its E. terminus in this county, and five railroads, viz., the Chesapeake and Ohio, the Richmond, Danville, and Piedmont, the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac, the Richmond and Petersburg, and the Richmond and York River, radiate from Richmond. The chief productions in 1870 were 81,502 bushels of wheat, 127,166 of Indian corn, 89,601 of oats, 37,634 of Irish potatoes, 10,228 of sweet potatoes, and 2,112 tons of hay. The value of live stock on farms was $216,497. The principal manufactories were 5 of agricultural implements, 8 of tobacco boxes, 16 of bread, etc, 13 of carriages, 4 of cars, 81 of clothing, 27 of furniture, 1 of gas, 10 of iron, 10 of saddlery and harness, 20 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 38 of tobacco and snuff, 19 of cigars, 9 printing establishments, 3 flour mills, 1 distillery, 2 breweries, and 2 saw mills.
Capital, Richmond, also the capital of the state.