Herkimer , a N. E. county of New York, intersected by the Mohawk river, and also drained by several mill streams; area, 1,745 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 39,928. It has a hilly surface, in many places covered with a dense growth of timber, and containing limestone, building stone, lead, and gypsum. The soil is very fertile in the valleys, and even in some of the hilly districts. The Erie canal, the New York Central railroad, and the Adirondack railroad (in progress) traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,665 bushels of wheat, 128,953 of Indian corn, 551,179 of oats, 60,-288 of barley, 41,806 of buckwheat, 367,805 of potatoes, 25,918 lbs. of wool, 444,910 of hops, 100,025 of flax, 1,212,051 of butter, 5,101,654 of cheese, and 157,839 tons of hay. There were 8,299 horses, 48,547 milch cows, 11,836 other cattle, 6,984 sheep, and 8,403 swine; 2 manufactories of agricultural implements, 72 of cheese, 24 of cheese boxes, 34 of carriages, 25 of clothing, 2 of cotton goods, 1 of firearms, 3 of hardware, 4 of malt, 1 of matches, 3 of printing paper, 1 of starch, 14 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 4 of woollen goods, 18 flour mills, 15 tanneries, 6 currying establishments, 5 planing mills, and 26 saw mills.

Capital, Herkimer.