Hertford , a X. E. county of North Carolina, bordering on Virginia, bounded E. by Chowan and Nottoway rivers, and intersected by the Meherrin, which unites with the Nottoway to form the Chowan; area, 320 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,273, of whom 4,952 were colored. It has a level surface, covered in part with pine and cedar woods, which furnish large quantities of timber, tar, and turpentine for exportation. The Chowan river is navigable by sloops along the border of the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,430 bushels of wheat, 189,079 of Indian corn, 13,857 of oats, 49,807 of sweet potatoes, and 235 bales of cotton. There were 915 horses, 1,174 milch cows, 2,708 other cattle, 2,259 sheep, and 11,398 swine; 1 saw mill, and 7 flour mills. Capital, Winton.
Hertford , a town and parliamentary borough of England, capital of Hertfordshire, on the river Lea, 18 m. X. of London; pop. in 1871, 7,164. It has eight churches, a Latin school, a mechanics' institute, a branch of the London Christ's hospital, a large distillery, and several large breweries. There is an active trade in coal, timber, and corn. In 673 a national ecclesiastical council was held here, and early in the 10th century Edward the Elder rebuilt the town and built the castle, which afterward was occasionally a royal residence.