Highland ,.I. A W. county of Virginia, bordering on West Virginia, bounded N. W. by the principal ridge of the Alleghany mountains, and S. E. by the Shenandoah range; area, 425 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,151, of whom 348 were colored. The S. branch of the Potomac and some of the head streams of James river rise within its limits. The surface is diversified, but consists chiefly of table land, with a rich soil. It is well timbered, and affords excellent pasturage. Iron ore is found in some parts. The chief productions in 1870 were 25,133 bushels of wheat, 6,605 of rye, 26,075 of Indian corn, 11,755 of oats, 4,650 of buckwheat, 5,743 of potatoes, 17,913 lbs. of wool, 71,557 of butter, and 5,897 tons of hay. There were 1,903 horses, 2,112 milch cows, 6,942 other cattle, 7,950 sheep, and 2,782 swine. Capital, Monterey. II. A S. W. county of Ohio, drained by Paint, Brush, and White Oak creeks; area, .555 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 29,-133. Its surface is elevated and uneven, and its soil fertile. The Marietta and Cincinnati railroad and Hillsborough branch traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 415,370 bushels of wheat, 1,110,437 of Indian corn, 153,324 of oats, 50,278 of potatoes, 81,832 lbs. of wool, 517,622 of butter, and 16,970 tons of hay.
There were 9,227 horses, 6,743 milch cows, 12,783 other cattle, 25,866 sheep, and 40,834 swine; 16 manufactories of carriages, 2 of clothing, 1 of iron castings, 1 of machinery, 2 of tombstones, 10 of saddlery and harness, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 4 of woollen goods, 12 flour mills, 3 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, 2 distilleries, 1 planing mill, and 9 saw mills. Capital, Hillsborough.
Highlands , a name applied to the N. and N. W. districts of Scotland, in contradistinction to the S. and S. E. parts, which are called the lowlands. Their exact boundaries are unsettled. The Grampian hills are sometimes taken as the dividing line between the two great natural divisions; but, regarded as the country of the highland clans, the highlands include all the Scottish territory W. and N. W. of an imaginary line drawn from the mouth of the Nairn in the Moray frith nearly S. E. to a point on the N. Esk, near Ion. 3° W., on the S. slope of the Grampians, and thence S. W. to Culross on the estuary of the Clyde. They thus comprehend more than half of Scotland, including the whole of the counties of Caithness, Sutherland, Ross, Cromarty, Inverness, and Argyle, parts of Nairn, Elgin, Banff, Aberdeen, Forfar, Perth, Stirling, and Dumbarton, and the Hebrides. They are remarkable for their wild and beautiful scenery and the peculiar character of their inhabitants. The mountainous tracts S. and E. of the Clyde are sometimes called the southern highlands. (See Scotland.) - For the highlands of the Hudson, see Hudson River.