Honfleur , a seaport town of France, in the department of Calvados, on the S. bank of the estuary of the Seine, here 7 m. wide, and nearly opposite Havre; pop. in 1866, 9,946. It has a commodious port, which is only accessible however at high tide, and is resorted to chiefly by fishing vessels and craft engaged in the timber trade. Its commerce, which was once important, is now engrossed by Havre, but it retains a trade in farm and dairy produce, large quantities of eggs, fruit, and vegetables being exported to England. It has fisheries of herring, cod, and mackerel, and manufactories of lace, rope, leather, casks, mineral acids, and ship biscuit. Ship building is also carried on to some extent. The town is ill built and ill fortified, but contains some old and interesting edifices. The principal public buildings are the custom house, bank, and a chapel on a neighboring hill which is a favorite shrine for sailors. It contains a communal college, chamber of commerce, exchange, and school of navigation. Honfleur was long in the possession of the English, and figures largely in their French wars.