Hot Springs, a S. W. central county of Arkansas, intersected by Washita river; area in 1870, about 900 sq. m.; pop. 5,877, of whom 650 were colored. It has a hilly surface. The soil is very fertile in the river bottoms, and timber is abundant. It is traversed by the Cairo and Fulton railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,796 bushels of wheat, 196,848 of Indian corn, 15,851 of sweet potatoes, and 843 bales of cotton. There were 964 horses, 3,896 cattle, 1,779 sheep, and 11,-364 swine. The portion containing the hot springs whence its name is derived was set off to form Garland co. in 1873, reducing the area given above. Capital, Rockport.
Hot Springs, a town and the capital of Garland co., Arkansas, about 45 m. W. S. W. of Little Rock, 6 m. N. of the Washita river, and 21 m. from Malvern on the Cairo and Fulton railroad; pop. in 1870, 1,276, of whom 296 were colored. It is built principally in the narrow valley of Hot Spring creek, running N. and S., and contains 8 or 10 hotels, 3 schools, 2 weekly newspapers, and 5 churches. In the vicinity is found valuable stone for hones and whetstones, of which considerable quantities are quarried. The springs (57 in number) issue from the W. slope of Hot Spring mountain, vary in temperature from 93° to 150°, and discharge into the creek about 500,000 gallons a day. They are much resorted to by invalids and tourists. - See " The Hot Springs as They Are," by Charles Cutter (Little Rock, 1874).