Independence (a N. county of Arkansas, bounded E. by Black river, and traversed from N. W. to S. E. by White river; area, 1,050 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,566, of whom 908 were colored. It has a very uneven surface, well wooded with pine and other timber. The soil is fertile. Black marble is found here. The chief productions in 1870 were 38,653 bushels of wheat, 508,005 of Indian corn, 30,820 of oats, 17,574 of Irish potatoes, 21,483 of sweet potatoes, 21,336 lbs. of tobacco, 139,225 of butter, and 5,613 bales of cotton. There were 3,370 horses, 4,059 milch cows, 1,496 working oxen, 5,677 other cattle, 5,387 sheep, 22,787 swine, and 8 flour mills. Capital, Batesville.
I. A town of Washington co., Texas, 80 m. E. of Austin, 18 m. from Navasota on the Houston and Texas Central railroad, and 12 m. from Brenham on the W. branch of that line; pop. about 1,000. It is pleasantly situated in the midst of diversified scenery, and contains several public schools, and Baptist, Episcopal, and Methodist churches. It is the seat of Baylor university, chartered in 1845, and Baylor female college, under the control of the Baptists. The university had at first a collegiate and a law department (at present suspended); in 1866 a theological department was added. In 1873-'4 it had 5 professors, 2 assistants, 80 students (11 theological), and a library of 2,700 volumes. II. A city and the capital of Buchanan co., Iowa, on the Wapsipinicon river, and at the intersection of the Iowa division of the Illinois Central railroad with the Milwaukee division of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids, and Minnesota line, 107 m. N. E. of Des Moines; pop. in 1870, 2,945. It contains a national bank, 10 public schools, including two high schools, two weekly newspapers, and eight churches. It is the seat of one of the state insane hospitals, recently established, which in November, 1873, had 113 patients.
The building, when completed, will accommodate 500. HI. A city and the capital of Jackson co., Missouri, on the Missouri Pacific railroad, 10 m. from Kansas City, 4 m. S. of the Missouri river, and 130 m. W. N. W. of Jefferson City; pop. in 1870, 3,184. It contains a national bank, three hotels, three public schools, including a high school, two colleges, and two weekly newspapers. It was settled in 1827, and formerly derived great importance from its position as an entrepot between New Mexico and Utah and the eastern states, and a place of outfit for emigrant trains to Oregon and California. The Mormons settled there in 1837, but were expelled, and took refuge in Illinois and afterward in Utah. Members of one branch of the church have purchased the grounds designed by Joseph Smith as the site of the grand temple, and intend to erect the edifice at an early day. They are assembling here quite rapidly.