Indianola (a town and the capital of Calhoun co., Texas, port of entry of the district of Saluria, on the W. shore of Matagorda bay, 140 m. S. by E. of Austin, and 120 m. S. W. of Galveston; pop. in 1870, 2,106, of whom 492 were colored. It is the terminus of the Gulf, Western Texas, and Pacific railroad (completed in 1873 to Cuero, De Witt co., 66.m.), which is to connect it with Austin and San Antonio. Steamers run regularly to Galveston and Corpus Christi. The commerce is important. For the year ending Aug. 31, 1872, there were entered in the coasting trade 242 vessels of 188,453 tons, of which 149 of 174,-270 tons were steamers; cleared, 250 vessels of 194,896 tons, of which 146 of 170,052 tons were steamers. The receipts were 5,808,000 feet of lumber and 2,750,000 shingles; shipments, 27,461 head of animals, 11,549 bales of cotton, 330,875 hides, and 3,234 bags of wool. The value of imports from foreign ports was $82,463; of exports to foreign countries, $58,-658. A weekly newspaper is published.