Ipswich, a town of Essex co., Massachusetts, on both sides of Ipswich river, at its mouth, and on the Eastern railroad, 25 m. N. N E. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 3,720. The river, which is here crossed by two stone bridges, one built in 1764 and the other in 1861, affords valuable water power, and in a bay of the same name at its mouth there is an excellent harbor. A number of vessels are owned here, and the town is interested to some extent in the coasting trade, and has small ship yards. There is a woollen mill, producing repellants, but the principal manufactures are of hosiery, employing 14 establishments, and of boots and shoes. The town contains a county insane asylum, a county house of correction, a female seminary established in 1828 and having in 1872 9 instructors and 60 pupils, a classical school founded in 1650, 10 public schools, including a high school, a weekly newspaper, a public library, and six churches. It was settled in 1633. Its Indian name was Agawam ("fishing station").
Ipswich, a parliamentary borough and river port of England, capital of the county of Suffolk, on the river Orwell, 10 m. from the sea and 65 m. N. E. of London; pop. in 1871, 43,-136. It is situated on a gentle declivity near the junction of the Orwell and Gipping, the latter of which, according to Camden, gave the town its name, which was originally Gip-peswich. The streets are generally narrow and irregular, but are well paved and are lighted with gas. It has 42 churches and places of worship, a mechanics' institute, a working men's college, large iron founderies and soap factories, breweries, corn mills, and ship-building docks. Among the principal buildings are Queen Elizabeth's grammar school, the town hall, hall of commerce, corn exchange, county jail, hospital, assembly room, and barracks. The grammar school was founded originally in the reign of Edward IV., and was revived by Cardinal Wolsey, who intended to make it a nursery for Christchurch college, which he had founded at Oxford. Its charter was confirmed by Queen Elizabeth. The present building, the corner stone of which was laid by Prince Albert in 1851 on a different site from the ancient school, is 168 ft. front by 110 ft. deep. It accommodates, besides the grammar school, a public library and museum.
The town has considerable foreign and coastwise trade, chiefly in grain, coal, timber, and local manufactures. Ipswich was sacked by the Danes in the years 991 and 1000.
Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, Ipswich.
Ipswich, a town of Queensland, Australia, on the river Bremer, 25 m. W. of Brisbane; pop. in 1871, 5,092. It has several churches and chapels, a hospital, a grammar school, a mechanics' institute with a library of 2,000 volumes, and two newspapers. Ipswich was incorporated into a municipality in March, 1860, and is now the second town of the colony, rivalling Brisbane in business importance. It is the starting point of the southern and western railways.