Ithaca, a village in the town of the same name, capital of Tompkins co., New York, situated on both sides of the Cayuga inlet, 1 1/2 m. from the head or S. end of Cayuga lake, and 142 m. W. by S. of Albany; pop. in 1870, 8,462; of the town, 10,107. The village is built partly on a fine plain, partly on the slope of a range of hills which bound it on all sides except the north. The court house, jail, and clerk's office are good brick or stone buildings. There are 10 or 12 beautiful cascades in or near the village. It is the terminus of the Cayuga division of the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western railroad, and of the Ithaca and Athens, the Geneva and Ithaca, the Ithaca and Cortland, and the Cayuga Lake railroads; while by means of a daily line of steamboats on the lake between Ithaca and Cayuga bridge, it is connected with the New York Central railroad. It is a place of commercial activity, and an entrepot for the transshipment of Scranton and Lackawanna and Lehigh Valley coal. The principal manufactures are of paper, bent work, agricultural implements, calendar clocks, glass, steam engines, and boats.
There are two national banks with an aggregate capital of $500,-000. The village is the seat of Cornell university. (See Cornell Univeesity.) Graded public schools are in process of organization, and there are several private schools, a preparatory school, a public library, one daily and four weekly newspapers, and 12 churches.
Ithaca (mod. Gr. Thiaki), the sixth in size of the Ionian islands, 2 m. E. of Cephalonia, of which it forms an eparchy, and 17 m. W. of the mainland of Greece; length 15 m., greatest breadth 4 m.; area, 38 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,873. It is nearly divided by the deep harbor of Porto Molo on the E. coast. The surface is mountainous, a limestone range, with many craggy peaks, running the whole length of the island. The soil is light and shallow, but nearly one third of the surface is cultivated, and yields grain, currants, and olives, which with good wine and honey are the principal agricultural products. The people are mainly engaged in maritime trade. The climate is noted for its salubrity. The capital and chief port is Vathy, built on a harbor of the Porto Molo. The island is divided into four districts: Vathy, Aeto, Anoge, and Exoge. Ithaca is commonly believed to be the island of that name celebrated in the Homeric poems as the kingdom of Ulysses. On the sides and summit of Mount Aeto, which rises 1,200 ft. above the sea, at the foot of Porto Molo, are some Cyclopean ruins which the islanders call the Castle of Ulysses. At the foot of a white cliff on the S. E. coast there is a perennial spring, traditionally regarded as the famous fountain of Arethusa; and it is believed that the precipice is the one to which the poet refers when he represents Ulysses as challenging Eumseus " to throw him over the great rock" if he lies. - See Schliemann, Ithaka, der Peloponnea und Troja (Leipsic, 1809).