Jean Henri Merle D'Aubigne, a Swiss clergyman and historian, born at Eaux Vives, near Geneva, Aug. 16, 1794, died in Geneva, Oct. 21, 1872. He was descended from a distinguished Huguenot family which was driven out of France by the revocation of the edict of Nantes. He was educated in Geneva, and attended Neander's lectures in Berlin. In 1817 he was ordained, and for six years following was pastor of the French Calvinist church in Hamburg. In 1823 he removed to Brussels, where for seven years he was pastor of a Protestant congregation, and court preacher to the king of the Netherlands during his stays in that city. After the revolution of 1830 he returned to Geneva and took the chair of ecclesiastical history, and the general direction of a new theological institution founded by the evangelical society of that city. Some years later he began his principal work, Ilistoire de la reformation au XVIe slecle (5 vols., Paris, 1835-'53). More than 200,000 copies of the English translation of this work have been sold in Great Britain, and at least twice that number in the United States. Bis supplementary llis-toire de la reformation au temps de Calvin (5 vols., Paris, 1862-8) was to have extended to seven volumes, but was not completed at his death.
He also published Le protectevr, ou la republique deAngleterre aux jours de Cromicell (Paris, 1848); "Germany, England, and Scotland, or Recollections of a Swiss Minister" (London, 1848); Trois siecles de luttes en Ecosse, on deux rois et denxroyaumes (1850); and several discourses, and papers in the A rch ires du CJtristianisme, most of which have been translated into English. In 1870 he published a pamphlet entitled Le concile et l'infaillililite.