Jeffersonville, a city of Clarke co., Indiana, situated at the head of the falls on the Ohio river, nearly opposite Louisville, Ky.; pop. in 1850, 2,122; in 1860, 4,020; in 1870, 7,254. It is built on high ground on the site of old Fort Finney, and commands a magnificent view of the river and of Louisville. The streets are wide, well paved, and laid out at right angles with one another. It is the S. terminus of the Louisville division of the Ohio and Mississippi railroad, and of the Jefferson-ville, Madison, and Indianapolis railroad, and is connected by a branch of the latter with New Albany, 5 m. below. The Ohio is here crossed by one of the finest bridges in the country, which connects these railroads with the lines diverging from Louisville. The Ohio is 1 m. wide in this part of its course, and in a distance of 2 m. has a fall of 26 ft., which affords unrivalled motive power. The depth of water is sufficient at all seasons for craft of large size, and steamboat building is an important branch of industry.
There are a large manufactory of locomotives and cars, machine shops, mills, etc, and two national banks, with an aggregate capital of $550,000. Jeffersonville is the seat of the southern state prison, with an average number of 395 convicts, and has a system of graded schools, embracing 18 departments, including a high school, with about 1,300 pupils; a weekly and two daily newspapers, and 11 churches.