Jericho, a flourishing commercial city of ancient Palestine, in the valley of the Jordan, on the W. side of that river, near its entrance into the Dead sea. It was one of the oldest and richest cities of Canaan, surrounded by groves of palms and balsam trees. It was conquered and destroyed by Joshua on his entrance into the promised land, and a curse was pronounced upon whosoever should rebuild it, its territory being allotted to the tribe of Benjamin. It was, however, rebuilt upon a site near by, became the centre of the trade between Arabia and Palestine, was fortified by King Ahab, and was the seat of a school of prophets. Mark Antony presented its plain of palm trees to Cleopatra. It was embellished by Herod the Great, who built there one of his residences; under Vespasian it was destroyed, and under Hadrian again rebuilt; it was overthrown during the Mohammedan conquest, revived under the caliph3, and completely destroyed during the crusades. The village of Riha, supposed to occupy the site of the second city, was destroyed by Ibrahim Pasha in 1840, and there only remain a few huts and a Saracenic tower.