John Jamieson, a Scottish clergyman, born in Glasgow, March 3, 1759, died in Edinburgh, July 12, 1838. He was the son of a Secession minister settled in Glasgow, and was educated at the university of that city. At the age of 20 he was licensed as a preacher, and in 1781 was ordained pastor of a small congregation in Forfar, where he remained 16 years on a salary of £50. During this time he published " So-cinianism Unmasked" (1788), "The Sorrows of Slavery, a Poem " (1789), " Sermons on the Heart" (2 vols. 8vo, 1789-'90), and "A Vindication of the Doctrine of Scripture and of the Primitive Faith concerning the Deity of Christ" (2 vols. 8vo, 1794), in which the arguments of Priestley in his " History of Early Opinions" are ably combated. In 1797 he was settled over a congregation in Edinburgh, where he passed the remainder of his life. In 1802 appeared his " Use of Sacred History" (2 vols. 8vo), and in 1808-'9 his most important work, "Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language " (2 vols. 4to), of which he published in 1818 an 8vo abridgment, followed in 1825 by a supplement to the large edition in 2 vols. 4to. Among his remaining works are: "Hermes Scythicus, or Radical Affinities of the Greek and Latin Languages to the Gothic" (8vo, 1814); "Historical Account of the Ancient Culdees of Iona" (4to, 1811); "Grammar of Rhetoric and Polite Literature " (12mo, 1818); editions of Barbour's " Bruce " and Harry the Minstrel's " Sir William Wallace;" and a number of occasional sermons and poems.

He received the degree of D. D. from Princeton college, N. J., and during the last five years of his life enjoyed a literary pension of £100.