John Lamgan, an Irish clergyman, born in Cashel in 1758, died at Finglas, near Dublin, July 7, 1828. About the age of 16 he entered the Irish college at Rome, where he took orders and received the degree of D. D. He was soon afterward appointed to the chair of Hebrew, divinity, and the Scriptures at Pavia; and when the university was deserted in 1796 in consequence of the war, he returned to Ireland and was elected to a similar position in the college of Maynooth. His election having been opposed by the bishop of Cork, who suspected him of Gallicanism, he refused the professorship, and obtained an appointment in the record tower of Dublin castle, to which were added in 1799 the duties of librarian, editor, and translator for the Dublin society. This place he retained till 1821, when his intellect became impaired, and he passed the rest of his life in a private lunatic asylum at Finglas. He left an "Introduction concerning the Nature, Present State, and True Interests of the Church of England, and on the Means of effecting a Reconciliation of the Churches," and an "Ecclesiastical History of Ireland" (4 vols., 1822). He also published the Roman breviary in Irish, and an edition of Alban Butler's "Moral Discourses," with a preface.