John Mccloskey, an American archbishop, born in Brooklyn, N. Y., March 20, 1810. He graduated at Mount St. Mary's college, Em-mettsburg, Md., and studied theology in the seminary there. Having received priest's orders Jan. 9, 1834, he was sent to Pome, studied for two years in the Roman college, spent another year in France, and on his return was appointed assistant pastor of St. Joseph's church in New York, and six months afterward became rector of the parish. In 1841 Bishop Hughes nominated him first president of St. John's college, Fordham, but in 1842 he resumed the rectorship of St. Joseph's. At the solicitation of Bishop Hughes, he was appointed his coadjutor Nov. 21, 1843, with the title of bishop of Axicre, and was consecrated March 10, 1844. In the division of the diocese of New York which took place in 1847, Bishop McCloskey was nominated first bishop of Albany May 21. His zeal, eloquence, and popularity obtained him the means of building churches in every city and town, and of creating establishments for charity and education.
He introduced into his diocese the ladies of the Sacred Heart, the sisters of charity, the sisters of mercy, the gray sisters hospitallers from Montreal, the sisters of St. Joseph, and those of the third order of St. Francis; also the Jesuits, Oblates, Augustinians, Franciscans, and Capuchins. He began and completed the cathedral of Albany, devoting to it a large part of his own income. During his last years in that city he purchased extensive buildings in Troy, destined to be a general theological seminary for the dioceses forming the ecclesiastical province of New York, and obtained for it from the university of Louvain a staff of trained professors. After the death of Archbishop Hughes he was appointed to the see of New York, May 6, 1864, and took possession of it Aug. 21. Besides a large number of spacious churches built in the city and elsewhere, the archbishop has established a protectory for destitute children at West Chester, in which upward of 1,100 boys and 500 girls are cared for and educated; a foundling asylum in 68th street, an asylum for female deaf mutes at Ford-ham, homes for destitute children and young girls attached to St. Stephen's and St. Ann's churches, homes for aged men and women, and new orphan asylums outside of New York city.
To direct these institutions and to cooperate with the secular clergy, he has established communities of Dominicans, Franciscans, Capuchins, "Little Sisters of the Poor," and German Franciscan sisters for the German hospital. He has also labored strenuously to complete the new cathedral begun by his predecessor, for which he has given $10,000 from his own private purse, and to procure materials for which he visited Rome in 1874.